Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Buffett on David Winters/Wintergreen

"BUFFETT ON DAVID WINTERS

WHEN DAVID WINTERS WHO RUNS A FUND THAT HAS UNDERPERFORMED BY EVERY MEASURE FROM INCEPTION, FIVE YEARS, ONE YEAR AND WHO DRAWS A 150 BASIS POINT FEE WHEN YOU CAN GO TO VANGUARD AND DO IT FOR 17 BASIS POINTS AND HE COMPLAINS ABOUT COMPENSATION NOT BEING COMMENSURATE WITH PERFORMANCE AT COKE. AND THEN HE HAS THAT KIND OF RECORD HIMSELF, I THINK HE'S A FELLOW LIVING IN AN ALL-GLASS HOUSE."

Sorry about the all caps, copied from CNBC page - which was all caps.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102468796#.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited March 2015
    Maurice said:

Must be something else deeper going on between the two men. Why else ask the question?

Winters (foolishly, in my opinion - literal David vs Goliath and in this instance, there was no way David was going to get Goliath to budge, given David's AUM/shares held, complete waste of time and money by Winters) tried to go activist on Coke and didn't go very far.

If I remember correctly, he publicly scolded Buffett once or twice in regards to Coke (Winters made a big stink about selling his shares in Berkshire due to this situation, I didn't think Warren could give two ****s and now it's quite clear that's the case), where Buffett is on the board and I'm pretty sure remains the largest shareholder. Buffett has been kind of quiet about it on previous appearances, but this time the gloves came off.

Winters, meanwhile, hasn't really gotten anything out of this activist fight aside from being verbally wrecked by Buffett, which isn't exactly good for reputation.

• They were having a slap-fight over Berkshire's stake in Coca-Cola, on whose board Winters sits.

David
  • Concision is a gift, David.
  • Is that like circumcision?
  • Mr. B's son Howard is a board member of CoCa-Cola.