Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

AMG Yacktman Fund and AMG Yacktman Focused Fund to reopen to new investors

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1089951/000119312515219331/d940841d497.htm

497 1 d940841d497.htm AMG FUNDS
Filed pursuant to 497(e)

File Nos. 333-84639 and 811-09521

AMG FUNDS

AMG YACKTMAN FUND

AMG YACKTMAN FOCUSED FUND

Supplement dated June 10, 2015

to the Statement of Additional Information dated May 1, 2015

The following information supplements and supersedes any information to the contrary relating to AMG Yacktman Fund and AMG Yacktman Focused Fund (the “Funds”), each a series of AMG Funds, contained in the Funds’ Statement of Additional Information, dated May 1, 2015.

Effective June 22, 2015, the Funds will reopen to new investors.

Effective June 22, 2015, the Statement of Additional Information is hereby amended as follows:

With respect to the section “General Information”, the third paragraph is hereby deleted in its entirety.

PLEASE KEEP THIS SUPPLEMENT FOR FUTURE REFERENCE

ST302

Comments

• Sounds like the time to exit!
  • edited June 2015
    AMG Yacktman Focused Service (YAFFX) is a bonafide Three Alarm Fund month ending May 2015.
  • Losing assets will make it happen !
  • People really should know what they're invested in. Yacktman has a history of being conservative when the market is lofty. Sell if you like, but you may want to read the history of the Manger first.
  • >> bonafide Three Alarm Fund month ending May 2015

More sore limitations of the methods here, and the historical timescales.

What do we pay for, or want to pay for, intend to pay for, in paying a manager? It is unlikely that Charles et alia are simply too young to fully realize the value of time. But to see the answer, or one answer, just compare the performance of YAFFX with just about anything roughly similar for the last six years (good but arguably meh and not superior) and then the last seven and eight years.

Striking, those last two .

MFO, the place to go for advice on the shorter term, six years and since.
  • Basically, has the smart money left or the dumb money left? If the former, you're a timer, and a relatively poor one at that; if the latter, what's your goal?
    YACKX, in which I have a modest amount, bounced very well after 1208. If I think a significant decline will occur, I should sit on my hands (and not type this irritating drivel.) Obviously, I hit the keys, but not the "Sell" one.
  • edited June 2015
    I believe the Yacktman funds are still good funds but there have been a couple changes from the pre-great recession days to now. The first I think is that the son now runs the fund, not the father. The other is assets under management. The 2 very similar funds now have over 21 billion. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing it was less than a third of that back in 2007-8.

I like the idea of a good value stock picker willing to go to cash in the large cap space. I owned YAFFX for years. But when I moved my 401k to and ira last year I went with a smaller fund with similar style, SEEDX. Haven't bothered to compare the 2 but I like smaller, focused funds with capital preservation as it's main goal. SEEDX to me was a smaller version of Yacktman.

edit to add: and of course a third change is it is not owned by the Yacktmans anymore.
  • 17% CASH, buying/holding depressed/declining companys.. I'mLooking for a spot to get my original investment out, will hold (their) profits to see what they can do with it in the furture,
    Real shame, we'll see if sonny can drive this (good) one into the Dumpster...
  • I own both YAFFX and SEDEX. Not looking for an argument, but despite the fact that one of the Managers previously worked for Yacktman and they're both Mormons, I see no similarities in the funds. The portfolios bear no resemblance to each other and their behavior also has been different. Greg Jackson may have been a more obvious successor (to me anyway) to take over had he stayed, since his personality (as seen from afar) more resembles the elder Yacktman. However, the younger Yacktman has been there long enough to know his fathers process. The open questions is, can he duplicate the process while having a different mindset. The elder Yacktman seems to live a simpler life, whereas the younger version, as seen via the interviews of the elder, doesn't seem to be as grounded. How this affects his investing remains to be seen. For now, I'm holding on. Perhaps, the next downturn will provide some insight.
  • >> doesn't seem to be as grounded.

BW, thanks; can you give a link? I have inferred this too to some extent but cannot remember where, or find it. Officially there appears to have been no management change, father to son (see M* management entries), although the press too often implies as much.
  • Thanks; I read this back when, 2.5y ago, but did not pay enough attention.
    Son has been doing decisionmaking for well over a decade now, so much of the success is due him. Sounds like quite the aspiring prick, but you know.
    HP quote is pretty funny if you ever worked there (as I did).

Interesting overall.

Daughter is still on the mend, or maybe there:
    http://jenannlynn.org/

I can see why M* describes shared management as it does. Dad is only 73.5. Bet he still dislikes those digs.
  • Opening up bloated funds (YAFFX $8.7B AUM, YACKX $12.1B AUM) to new investors represents poor fund stewardship, period, end of the story. Sorry, I would not invest in a fund company not aligned with the best interest of current investors.

Instead, I would consider USMV (0.15% ER) and/or RPV (0.35% ER).

Kevin
  • @davidmoran: 'Sounds like quite the aspiring prick'. I read it the same way, but, hopefully he can keep it together and stay grounded. I sure hope so because I do like the fund.
  • Me too:)

Kevindow, you have set a new very low threshold for 'bloated, end of story', but more important you seem not to be making wise comparisons, really. Good ETFs, yours, but not good comparisons. And to revisit the tired active-passive arg, just graph your RPV vs either Yackt since Labor Day 08.

Sometimes I wonder if many readers here have gotten keen on the game just since like 2010 or something.