Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

DoubleLine Funds planning expansion in rather dicey times

edited November 2015 in Fund Discussions
Not much new here, about which most on the discussion board are fully aware. With one exception (see last line of synopsis):

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/11/12/gundlachs-doubleline-winning-at-pimcos-expense.html

"(Ron) Redell [president of DL funds] said the firm plans on launching 14 new products in the first quarter of 2016."

14? Uh-oh. Doesn't seem to me that the current state of affairs suggests it's an optimal moment to be getting all bold and adventurous.
Well, we'll see.

Comments

• I would like to see Gundlach start an unconstrained fund of his best ideas not exclusively tied to bonds, such as when he recommended shorting Apple and the yen a few years ago, and now I believe he is big on the Indian market, at least for the long term.
  • edited November 2015
    Chinfist said:

I would like to see Gundlach start an unconstrained fund of his best ideas not exclusively tied to bonds ....

I've had that thought too, and every time I do, check out DMLIX (multi-asset growth, I think the closest thing to that approach in his fund stable) to see how it's doing, and it's only a middling-sorta fund, so far anyway. It may not really be unconstrained, though - every time I look at the asset mix, it has a "check off this box" feel to it.
  • I was actually eyeing their DLCMX for when the commodity sell off is over.
  • edited November 2015
    AndyJ said:

Chinfist said:

I would like to see Gundlach start an unconstrained fund of his best ideas not exclusively tied to bonds ....

I've had that thought too, and every time I do, check out DMLIX (multi-asset growth, I think the closest thing to that approach in his fund stable) to see how it's doing, and it's only a middling-sorta fund, so far anyway. It may not really be unconstrained, though - every time I look at the asset mix, it has a "check off this box" feel to it.
    I was in this fund when it first opened. It did not seem to move anywhere,at least compared to other balanced/allocation funds, so I eventually sold it. I have not followed it closely in the last couple years, but it does not look like the type of fund we would be looking for, as far as Gundlach's highest convictions. It looks more like a play it safe fund.
  • I was actually eyeing their DLCMX for when the commodity sell off is over.

I hold uncle Jeffrey's core-plus bond fund. I had not even seen this offering before. It does make me nervous that the DL shop is planning to spawn so many new items, so soon. Like Royce, several years ago. Uh-oh.
    As for commodities (DLCMX,) I just initiated a tiny position which I intend to grow over the long haul, in ConocoPhillips--- for the dividend. (Ticker COP.) When oil's price rises again, this depressed stock--- the largest of its type in the world--- should rise, also. That's the theory, anyhow.... 5.5% yield on the sucker, at the moment.
  • edited November 2015
    I dunno, guys, maybe it's gonna be .....14 ETFs! (just joking, that would be disheartening, wouldn't it?)

I can only come up with two things (other than a bunch of stawk funds):
    (1) probably will add a HY, or High Income, to the stable, simply because no self-respecting MF shop can go without having one;
    (2) speculative here, but I could see them utilizing in-house expertise and going with something they already offer to separate accounts, viz. a global infrastructure debt fund.
    http://www.doubleline.com/global-infrastructure-overview.php
    To my knowledge, this would be a unique offering for retail investors (I can't think of anyone who does this, at least in OEF form), and it would be quite an alternative income/debt diversifier. I'd make an exception to the "3-yr rule" for something like that.

In any case, given that (a) The Shadow has yet to notice any SEC filings from DL and (b) there is a 3-mo quiet period between filing and offering, if they really are going to launch in the first quarter then we shouldn't be waiting very much longer for the revelations.