Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Emerging Market Funds - Looking for an Oxymoron

I'm looking for a good emerging market fund that would be considered on the "conservative" end of the EM equity spectrum...any unique funds out there that have a lower volatility tilt?

Comments

• Seafarer. If Growth and Income is closed there is a new Value fund. Check with this website, Andrew Foster the PM is a favorite here.
  • I own it too.
  • Agree with Growth and Income fund, but not sure I'd throw the Value fund in the low vol EM bucket.
  • In last month's Elevator Talk, Paul allows that he'll pursue for SFVLX some investments that are riskier than what would be appropriate in SFGIX.

If you want to limit downside, consider a fund that hedges its equity exposure. There are three possible hedges: a hybrid fund that holds bonds (often flagged "Total" or "Multi-asset"), a fund that's willing to hold a lot of cash, or a fund with a formal hedging policy. I screened for open, retail funds with the lowest downside deviation over the past five years. Here are 14 of the 15 "best" (the other was an institutional fund). Ten of the 14 have peer-beating returns over that period. Remember: these aren't recommendations, these are just a set of funds that meets one of your criteria that you might want to learn a bit more about.

David

GuideMark Emerging Markets GMLVX - 98% equity exposure
    Capital Group Emerging Markets Total Opportunities ETOPX - 45% equity
    Deutsche X-trackers MSCI Emerging Markets Hedged Equity ETF DBEM - hedged equity
    Harding Loevner Frontier Emerging Markets HLFMX -95%
    ICON Emerging Markets Fund ICARX - 88%
    New World Fund NEWFX - 84%
    Amana Developing World AMDWX - 87%
    AB Emerging Markets Multi-Asset ABYEX - 47%
    Fidelity Total Emerging Markets FTEMX - 63%, a Great Owl
    Lazard Emerging Markets Multi Asset EMMIX -47%
    Baron Emerging Markets BEXIX - 92%
    Calamos Evolving World Growth CNWIX -80%
    Seafarer Overseas Growth and Income Fund SIGIX - 90%, a Great Owl
    iShares Edge MSCI Min Vol Emerging Markets ETF EEMV - hedged equity
  • JoJo is correct. SFVLX is not the type of fund you asked about. David's suggested list is outstanding.
  • edited March 2017
    I think FTEMX would be my pick. Still it is still risky for me so I have to follow the "when you buy vs what you buy" mantra. So its on my list.

Now this ETOPX looks interesting, but $50K minimum.
  • ep1 said:

I'm looking for a good emerging market fund that would be considered on the "conservative" end of the EM equity spectrum...any unique funds out there that have a lower volatility tilt?

I vote for SFGIX, too. The other share-class is SIGIX.
    I checked-out my own holding, PRIDX, after reading your question. But it holds only 19.46% in EM. And it's a fund devoted to only small-caps, but worldwide. I like the fund.
  • Another vote for SFGIX, but unfortunately, it's closed to new accounts.
  • I would second David's mention of NEWFX American Funds New World. It can invest in developed world companies that derive a significant portion of their reviews from the emerging markets, so it is not quite as volatile.
  • A frequently held view is that pairing a good EM equity fund such as SFGIX with an EM bond fund such as TGINX is a good conservative play for the EM space.
  • edited March 2017
    I own WAEMX, SFGIX and CIPDX. I'm quite done with Emerging markets.
    However I'm watching two emerging market funds carefully. ARTZX and ARTYX. I've always maintained ARTYX was only started because ARTZX couldn't get investors. So Artisan hires this bull market darling manager and I don't see ARTYX doing better than ARTZX yet. While it has garnered lot of assets, it has yet to outperform ARTZX for Artisan to merge it away into ARTYX.

I'm still betting ARTZX does better. If ARTYZ does better and ARTZX stinks I will shave my head. Even with luck of ARTYX not being fully invested at inception and fairing better out the gate, ARTZX has already caught up.
  • edited March 2017
    If EM volatility's an issue, there's always EM debt rather than equity.

Also, for those who own a chunk of Pimco multisectors, it's good to be aware that a slug of their assets are in Latin American and other EM debt, and have been for some time. My Pimco-heavy port, for example, gives me about 7% in direct EM exposure before I even think about an EM equity or dedicated EM bond fund.
  • FNMIX and PREMX are 2 very good EM bond funds. Disclaimer: I own the latter.
  • I own WAEMX, SFGIX and CIPDX. I'm quite done with Emerging markets.
    However I'm watching two emerging market funds carefully. ARTZX and ARTYX. I've always maintained ARTYX was only started because ARTZX couldn't get investors. So Artisan hires this bull market darling manager and I don't see ARTYX doing better than ARTZX yet. While it has garnered lot of assets, it has yet to outperform ARTZX for Artisan to merge it away into ARTYX.

I'm still betting ARTZX does better. If ARTYZ does better and ARTZX stinks I will shave my head. Even with luck of ARTYX not being fully invested at inception and fairing better out the gate, ARTZX has already caught up.

You really need to look under the hood at ARTZX and ARTYX. The two are managed with a very different approach.
  • @MFO Members: U.S. News & World Report ranking of Diversified Emerging Market Funds
    Regards,
    Ted
    Diversified Emerging Mkts:
    http://money.usnews.com/funds/mutual-funds/rankings/diversified-emerging-mkts

Diversified Emerging Mkts ETFs:
    http://money.usnews.com/funds/search?category=diversified-emerging-mkts

• JoJo26 said:

You really need to look under the hood at ARTZX and ARTYX. The two are managed with a very different approach.

I'm not saying they are managed same way or differently. That's not my point at all. My point is ARTZX was not marketable. ARTYZ became marketable because of ex-Thornburg manager who has not demonstrated how he will navigate a bad stock market. My contention is Thornburg, Brandywine, etc fund companies are all bull market darlings and ARTZX will fair better than ARTYX.

Finally, for all good the "different approach" is worth. Just look at the charts and you couldn't tell the funds apart.

• Seafarer Overseas Gr & Inc would be my choice. Great management, concentrated portfolio, benchmark agnostic, focused on risk. It captures much of the EM upside with only about 70% of the downside. All the things you should look for in active management.
  • Seafarer G&I keeps coming up but it is closed to new investors. Same with Institutional shares. I just checked the website and talked to a rep. @DavidSnowball do any of the Matthews funds like Growth and Income or Dividend come close to your parameters above? I still own Matthews Growth and Income but I used about 30% to start an Sfgix position. I still like Matthews but I find Andrew Foster a more compelling manager.
  • edited March 2017
    Oops, I forgot that it's closed (SFGIX or SIGIX). As mentioned above, I'm in a different international fund, a TRP fund, which I'm happy with: PRIDX. Only about 20% of its portfolio is is in EM, though. from where I sit, that's my best shot. I would not recommend geographical sector-funds, like Africa or Latin America. You might want to check out the other fund run by Seafarer, the EM value fund. SFVLX. Not exactly the same mandate as the other, though.
  • SFVLX I don't think available NTF at any brokerage. I've been looking at the Matthews Value Fund. Still haven't pulled the trigger.
  • ep1, did your question get answered?
  • For what it's worth, I was able to add SFGIX to a Vanguard IRA yesterday. I did not previously have a position in the fund at Vanguard. So it is still available to new investments on some platforms.
  • I wonder why that is? Take advantage whilst you can.
  • LZOEX, SFENX are other possibilities.