Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Kathleen C. Gaffney: "Bond Market Is On Tenterhooks" Video Presentation

FYI: Investors should consider these defensive fixed-income moves while the markets await a secular rise in interest rates, says Kathleen C. Gaffney, co-director of diversified fixed-income and a portfolio manager at Eaton Vance. She spoke at the 3rd Annual Invest in Women Conference.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.fa-mag.com/news/bond-market-is-on-tenterhooks-33350.html?section=110

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hi @Maurice

A visual of the two funds since inception of EVBAX:

http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/perf.php?LSBRX,EVBAX&n=1105&O=011000

Take care,
    Catch
  • Performance has recovered since the rough patch in 2015. Still prefer Pimco Income bond fund.
  • With average maturity at 13+ years and duration at more than 6, Gaffney's fund is not for the faint of heart should a credit crisis develop. By comparison, LSBDX looks tame, and it is not.
  • I'm not a fan of Ms. Gaffney so I'm biased, BUT... she was apparently a big deal at Loomis and she left. Presumably that was because she wasn't going to get the top job or because she wasn't able to invest the way she really wanted to, or both. She didn't open her own shop and considering Eaton Vance has historically had a 'stock' guy at the top I'd guess she wasn't promised the top spot there either. Considering the success of Loomis, if in fact Dan Fuss wouldn't let her go her own way then I don't think I'd want to bet on her Eaton Vance funds until she proves she was right. IMHO so far she's not doing that.
  • I held EVBAX for a year or two and decided that it wasn't what I wanted from a multi-sector bond fund. Wayyyyy too volatile for my taste. I moved the funds to PIMIX, which seems as tame as a panda bear compared to EVBAX.
  • @willmatt72,

I also moved away from EVBAX but still own the Dan Fuss run NEFZX and have owned it for better than ten years now.

Skeet
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2017
    Hi @Maurice, I'm thinking that Ms. Gaffney left Lommis Sayles because there was a good possibility that Elane Stokes and Matthew Eagan were higher in the pecking order to replace Mr. Fuss when he leaves. Recently, they brought on Brian Kennedy as a fouth member of the team that manages the fund that I own, NEFZX. In a couple of years I may venture back into NEFRX also a Lommis fund run by a different team consisting of Peter Palfrey and Richard Raczkowski. I sold the fund a few years back when I added LBNDX to my fixed income sleeve.

I'm thinking Ms. Stokes and crew can carry own just fine when Mr. Fuss leaves.