Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Preferred Shares: High-Yielding But Pricey

TedTed
edited August 2017 in Fund Discussions
FYI: (Click On Article Title At Top Of Google Search)

What’s not to love about preferred shares? These securities, which have characteristics of both bonds and stocks, pay yields of around 6%—more than the average junk bond—and are typically issued by large, well-capitalized, investment-grade-rated financial institutions. Payouts are usually taxed as qualified dividend income, allowing investors to keep more of what they earn.
There’s one problem, however: They are getting expensive....
Regards,
Ted
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&q=Preferred+Shares:+High-Yielding+but+Pricey&oq=Preferred+Shares:+High-Yielding+but+Pricey&gs_l=psy-ab.3...4505.4505.0.6550.3.2.0.0.0.0.82.160.2.2.0....0...1..64.psy-ab..1.1.82.6..35i39k1.R5jU2DtHUO8

Comments

• Last year I added Cohen & Steers fund CPXAX (load free and ntf at Fido) and have been happy with it, added to it on occasion.

• The problem is that many people don't look at the par value of preferreds, just see the yield and pounce. Most savvy preferred investors will *rarely* buy a preferred trading more than one dividend payment above its call value (ie, $25).

That said, I still refuse to own any 'non-cumulative' preferred stocks -- which frequently are issued by banks ... and what frequently is held by these preferred ETFs, too....so I don't hold any of them, either!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.