Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fidelity waives loads

msf
edited March 2013 in Fund Discussions
Fidelity appears to have joined Schwab and TDAmeritrade in offering a wide variety of load funds NTF and with load waived. (Found this info on a M* discussion thread.)

In some cases, this winds up being even better than the TF share class. For example, Blackrock Equity Dividend service class (MSDVX) is a noload institutional share class that Fidelity offers with TF and a low min. Its ER is 1.03%. Fidelity now offers class A shares (MDDVX) NTF and load waived, with a slightly lower ER of 0.99%. When you look at the load funds, pay no attention to the M* stars. They include the effect of the front end load, which you're not paying. Sometimes the star rating is higher if the load is waived. You'll have to check directly with M* for that info.

Fidelity doesn't seem to provide a list of these newly added funds, but if you search (via google) for:
"load-waived through Fidelity" site:fidelity.com
you'll get the funds.

As near as I can tell, the fund families affected are:
Nuveen, Neuberger Berman (see below), Henderson, Morgan Stanley (but NL class I shares, with lower ER available at low min with TF in IRAs), Calvert, Nomura Partners (see below), Blackrock, Hotchkis Wiley, Eaton Vance (including Gaffney-managed Strategic Income ETSIX), Dreyfus (see below), Guggenheim (including Rydex), Putnam, Legg Mason (but not Value Trust), Invesco (see below), JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs, Pioneer, Principal, Ridgeworth (see below), DWS, Calamos, Federated, Western Asset (see below), Van Eck.

"Footnotes":

Nomura offers only load funds (now load waived at Fidelity), except for one unique fund: The Japan Fund (SJPNX). IMHO, this storied fund (oldest Japanese fund in the US) is the exception that proves the rule. Unlike nearly all funds offered by various fund "families", this fund has (or at least had) an independent board of directors. In 2003, disaffected with Scudder, it moved itself to Fidelity. Then in 2009, it moved to Nomura (though I don't know if that was initiated by the board or by Nomura/Fidelity), where it remained noload. But Nomura added a load share class, now load waived at Fidelity (but with a higher ER than the NTF SJPNX share class).

N&B funds - a noload "Trust" class has been offered NTF through Fidelity for decades. This carries a 12b-1 fee, unlike the true retail noload Investor class shares. It looks like the Investor shares have a lower ER than the A shares, which in turn is lower than the Trust shares. But N&B has closed Investor class shares to direct investors. They appear to be open (NTF) at Schwab, and likely elsewhere.

Dreyfus - obviously there are lots of NL funds in this family. But several years ago, it converted many of its funds to load funds (and made the original shares Z class, closed except to grandfathered investors). It is these funds where the A share class is now being offered with no load, NTF (but still higher ER than the original Z shares).

Invesco - like Dreyfus, a family with a mix of load and no load funds. The funds with no load investor shares also have A shares (now load waived). There may be slight differences in ER, e.g. for Diversified Dividend Fund, the investor class shares (LCEIX) are 1 basis point cheaper than the A shares (LCEAX), while for Dividend Income Fund, the ERs for investor (FSTUX) and A (IAUTX) appear to be the same.

Ridgeworth - Class I shares with lower ER than Class A shares are available with low mins. In several cases, the Class I is NTF, the A class isn't load-waived, so Class I is the obvious choice. For other funds, the Class I is TF, but lower ER than the newly load-waived, NTF class A shares.

Western Asset - Offers Class FI shares, NTF for three of the funds. Class I has the lower ER for Core Bond (WAPIX) and Core Plus Bond (WACIX), but higher ER for Inflation Indexed Plus Bond (WATPX; the cheaper A shares are WAFAX).

Comments

• Thanks for the update. Surprised Fidelity didn't make an announcement on the site or send out email (or I just missed them). Someone on the board mentioned PGBAX last week and when I went to Fido to research I saw that it was now NTF and no load.
    Again, thanks
  • Most excellent! Thank you for the info.
  • Thanks for the info. That's good news. Hopefully the load waived list will grow longer as time passes.
  • Reply to @Bud: Probably because their system is not quite ready for the transition.Did some homework last night and while their was a banner above several funds I researched @ Fidelity stating the A shares were now offered NTF and load waived ,when I attempted to place a trade ,the normal warning that the fund carried a fee popped up.Called Fidelity this AM and talked to very nice Rep named Demetrius (working the Holiday and enjoying it!) ,who was aware of the changes in some of the load waived policy but that the trading system as of yet had not been fully integrated.
    He had to check with the trading dept.but he was able to verify that ESMAX was in fact now NTF and load waived and he placed the order for me.Sounds counter productive for Fidelity but until their trading system is updated to avoid some confusion it probably will require a phone call. Still this is a new and welcome change for those of us who have avoided load funds on principle.
    Also, low minimums on some funds.So everyone can now start some more research!
  • Thank you for the good news. Very nice.
  • Many stars ago I used my Vanguard Brokerage account to buy my only load fund (an international small cap from Oppenheimer when there were limited choices available in the category). I had to speak with a number of people at Vangard Brokerage to make the purchase. After multiple " you do not fully comprehend what a stupid move this is " phone conversations, I thought I would ultimately have to speak with John Bogle for his OK or at least submit a letter for his approval. Wonder what load per cent , if any, the fund companies now charge the brokerage firms for these new accounts ? Has to bring some degree of conflict ( load fees paid in the past versus going forward ) between the brokerage platforms, fund companies, advisors, and individuals. Thank you for this info. Those of us with Fido Brokerage accounts have additional fund research in our future and would think other brokerage firms will consider joining TD, Fido, et al., in this distribution channel.
  • Reply to @TSP_Transfer: What a coincidence: I made the same trade at Fidelity a day ago:) Thanks to msf for this valuable information!!!