Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Professor David Snowball featured in Bottom Line Personal

edited February 2014 in Fund Discussions
Thought the MFO community would like to know.

David Snowball had an article featured in Bottom Line Personal (February 15, 2014 edition) titled “Actively Managed Funds with Low Volatility.” The three funds that he mentioned in the article were Cook & Bynum Fund (COBYX) … FPA Crescent (FPACX) … and, Osterweis Fund (OSTFX).

Old_Skeet

Comments

• Just saw the article... it is a good one!
  • (And I got five free copies!)
  • edited February 2014
    Reply to @David_Snowball: But ... but ... you can monetize the exposure! (Used to hear that one on a regular basis.)
  • Reply to @TheShadow: Why didn't you link it so we all see the good one. If its subscription, highlight copy & paste.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited February 2014
    Reply to @Ted: I received the paper copy.
  • Reply to @TheShadow: I already did, you need a subscription to read Bottom Line Personal on the web.
    Thanks,
    Ted
  • Bottom Line publishes a number of micro-articles each issue, say 150 - 500 words. This was one of those.

At base, Mark called me and said their readers were fretting about volatility and he asked my thoughts on minimum-vol or low-vol ETFs. I am, eternally, skeptical in part because traditionally low-vol sectors are bid up and undergoing structural changes (utilities, for example).

I suggested that there were three basic volatility management strategies: absolute value investing with a concurrent emphasis on cash, long-short investing, and long hedged with an options overlay.

They asked for three examples in each category (BRTNX, ARLSX, RGHVX ... )but they like larger funds with longer records, and they were a bit hesitant on hedging strategies so ...

David
  • edited February 2014
    I thought I'd bring this back towards the front of the reading lineup since it has gotten burried deep in the stack. If you enjoy this site then let someone else know by passing MFO's link on to a friend or another fellow investor. It is truly one of the best around and David has not been doing this to enrich his pockets ... form my belief. He is an educator and has a sincere desire to help others. So do your duty and pass his site on to others and let's help him expand its reading base.

Old_Skeet