Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M*: Liquidity Risk Increases At Fairholme

FYI: Following dismal performance and billions in investor outflows over the past several years, this fund faces serious liquidity risks.
Regards,
Ted
http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=772817

Comments

• M* on FAIRX: massive withdrawals + highly concentrated positions in small cap companies = a possible rout in those companies' shares (and FAIRX's NAV) if withdrawals continue.

I'm guessing this concern is a bit lower in FAAFX, where he owns most of the fund.

Berkowitz in the interview fought this back, says funds have lots of cash, bonds, liquidity, no leverage.

@Charles, any thoughts?

I'm in the pumpkin patch too, but I don't want to be the last one there. Then again, at this stage, may just be long-suffering investors like us in there.
  • So glad I didn't drink the Kool-aid. After reviewing the top 10 holdings (that would constitute about 80% of the entire fund), lots of beaten down stocks like Sears for good reasons. Not my type of manager I want to hire to loss my money.