Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Ray Dalio, Bridgewater; algo/robo software model my brain, 10% staff reduction so far.....

Well, robo advisement going to its full extent, eh? Mr. Dalio disappointed with staff produced results. Bridgewater appears to be the ultimate pressure cooker for a work environment.
Enjoy the read and dream on.....
Regards,
Catch

http://nypost.com/2016/12/22/hedge-fund-titan-developing-software-modeled-on-his-brain/

Comments

• @catch22- When I read this article (must have been in the WSJ some days ago) my stomach got tight just thinking of what it would be like to work in that kind of environment. Totally sick.
  • I suspect he is trying to replicate Renaissance Capital's success. However, the more crowded the strategy becomes, the less likely it will remain profitable.

Nick de Peyster
    Undervalued Stocks
  • I'm not quite sure I understand why you need 1700 employees when the investment approach he's famous for, the All Weather Portfolio, shouldn't exactly require lots of analysts. Even if you assume many clients' assets are managed according to their specific requirements it seems like a lot.

Beyond that, I wonder whether automation and reducing staff in part reflects the pressure on hedge funds to reduce costs considering what we read about institutional investors moving away from high cost hedge funds.

Considering information about holdings and returns isn't easy to come by, just how did they manage to figure out that Ray Dalio made $1.4 billion last year? Besides the fact that it's absurd, even if they're required to make some public disclosures, isn't it more likely that we just know he made more than $1 million or more than $10 million... something like that?
  • Authoritarianism seems to be the flavor of the day.