Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• Sven January 2014
  • Ted January 2014
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Loomis Sayles Bond Manages 5.9% Gain In 2013; Three Cheers for Dan Fuss

Comments

• Another comparable multi-sector bond fund, Eaton Vance Bond has done even better in 2013 with 7.8% total return. It is managed by Dan Fuss's former co-manager, Kathleen Gaffney along with 2 co-managers. Overall portfolio makeup is similar with higher allocation to equity weighing. One advantage is the small asset under management for greater flexibility, $99 M (A, C and I shares) versus $22.5 B of the Loomis Sayles Bond. The A share is available with front-load waived at Fidelity.
    https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mutual-funds/summary/277905246
  • Reply to @Sven: I always been a big fan of Kathleen Gaffney, and earlier this summer I predicted she would beat Gross, Gundlach, and Fuss.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Reply to @Ted: In early last year, I sold both Pimco and Doubleline Total Return funds and added to Eaton Vance. An experienced manager and small asset base are good formula to do well. While Dan Fuss is near 80, he still has two other experienced co-managers (10+ years experience before joining the LS bond fund).