Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Morningstar - Nominees for Domestic Fund of the year

edited January 2014 in Fund Discussions

http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=624571

In alphabetical order by fund name, the nominees are:

William Martindale and Robert Mitchell, Conestoga Small Cap (CCASX)
Dodge & Cox Investment Policy Committee, Dodge & Cox Stock (DODGX)
Dennis Lynch and Team, Morgan Stanley Institutional Growth (MSEQX)
Harry Burn, Gibbs Kane, John DeGulis, Sound Shore (SSHFX)
Larry Puglia, T. Rowe Price Blue Chip Growth (TRBCX)

(thank goodness my funds are not included:-) )

Comments

• whew! not any on my radar screen.
  • It never ceases to amaze me, year after year. I'm not saying these funds are not worthy, but I am sure most of us would have very different names if it was our own list. But, as Reddog noted, maybe it's good that none of my favorites made the list.
  • This is where I get my best ideas, not M*
  • I am owner of Conestoga Small Cap and pretty durn pleased with it, so I was wondering about the comment:

"I'm not saying these funds are not worthy, but I am sure most of us would have very different names if it was our own list." Bob C

Having been a follower of Fund Alarm and now MFO, what are the small cap funds most of you have and why.

Thanks
    Mike B
  • Reply to @greendragon71: Years ago I finally settled on GABSX after chasing various good Royce and Fido sc funds. Held PENNX for the longest time, also JASCX, both very good, but Gabelli seemed marginally better over the ups and downs. Now have some DES in addition to GABSX, but that's all.
  • edited January 2014
    I'd give at least honorable mention to managers of OAKBX. They made a decision to position the fund more aggressively than normal in 2013 and had a very good year. Lagged DODBX by only 4 points - despite being a much more risk-averse fund.
  • Reply to @hank: I think they do balanced/allocation funds tomorrow. DODBX will be on that list (and is a likely winner), since DODGX, DODFX and DODIX all got nominated for their respective categories. I'd assume OAKBX might be as well.
  • If M*'s graphs are accurate, none of the large caps protected during 2008 drop, but at least they didn't lag the S&P on the rise. If these are the best large caps funds over time, the graphs seem to validate the argument for index funds for the large cap portion of one's portfolio.
  • Reply to @greendragon71: We have moved around some in the small cap arena over the years. Funds sometimes allow asset bloat to occur, which almost always means they cannot remain in the small cap class any more. Or if they do, they are a closet index fund with higher expenses than an index. We have been using Baron Small Cap BSCFX and Ivy Small Cap Growth IYSIX. Cliff Greenberg has run Baron since it started in 1997 in thoughtful, careful manner, with low turnover. We started using Ivy when Tim Miller started running the fund. He had great success with Invesco Dynamics, and has had not disappointed with IYSIX. It really is all about who runs the funds. For accounts where we need to be tax efficient, it is hard to overlook VTSIX.
  • Reply to @greendragon71: Just started exploring the world of small-cap funds but I've been pleased with BIAUX and GTCSX