Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Heads up: Vanguard brokerage accounting seems broken

edited January 2014 in Fund Discussions
If you have a brokerage account at Vanguard where you buy non-Vanguard funds, you may want to check your online account for year end distribution if any for those funds. The accounting appears completely broken. Distributions for some funds at the end of last year with reinvestment dates last year still have not appeared at Vanguard. Some funds have multiple entries at various dates this year where distribution is made and then withdrawn again with no reinvestment. In effect, significant money is unaccounted for from the account from year end distributions.

Have not seen such a mess anywhere ever.

Comments

• After looking at it closely, the problem seems to be in funds that had a reinvestment date of 12/31/2013. Distributions are either unaccounted for or reclassified between short term and long term capital gains multiple times with varying NAVs used for reinvestment.

If you have a taxable account, I would also check the tax statement later on for correct reporting.
  • Verify whether your profile calls for distributions to be re-invested in additional shares or be sent to your money market account. Have a Van rep investigate if no record of either. There will be an investigation, explanation, and resolution of the facts.
  • CMAN, thanks for the heads up. In my account, a 12/31/2013 short term capital gain was misidentified as a dividend with a 01/02/2014 settlement date. It was corrected as a STCG with a 01/07/2014 settlement date so no problem as dollar amounts were equal and I don't reinvest. MourningStars gave good advise, call Vanguard and verify the transactions. They will adjust your account if necessary.