Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• msf January 2014
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

RSIVX explanation of fees

edited January 2014 in Fund Discussions
Hi, I have not yet followed up with details of my bond sleeve for some reviews here on a different thread but meantime am very intrigued by RSIVX - as what seems a worthwhile candidate to consider as a substitution for a long-held position in Vanguard Intermediate VFIDX - at least am considering reducing some portion of my roughly 10% of total PF in VFIDX - which from my reading of things, does not appear headed for greatness in the forseeable future and possibly vulnerable to NAV losses in the wake of higher interest rates. I am leaning toward a more tactical approach with bond funds/ETFs in general. I've reviewed OSTIX but i am leaning more toward RSIVX just based on liking what i've seen with the firm's other funds... and given some favorable reviews here as well. Question does arise - the expense/management fee, appears, at least - to be on the high side ... relative to most of my other funds (such as Vanguard) - and i'm wondering if i'm misunderstanding something about that - is it in fact a 1.25% annual fee - or is there some sort of waiver on that ? Any clarification appreciated.

I would be inclined to pare back on my VFIDX by roughly half with proceeds into this fund, but if the expense fee is excessive, it is a factor i have to consider - especially in the realm of bond vs equity funds.

Thanks!

Mike

Comments

• The 1.25% ER includes a waiver of 0.40%, per prospectus. That is, absent the waiver, the ER would be 1.65%. While this should drop somewhat as the fund increases its AUM (assets under management), it will never be an inexpensive fund. Its strategies are research/labor intensive to execute, and the 0.65% management fee component of the ER reflects this.

In addition, the retail class shares include a (virtual) 0.25% 12b-1 fee. The fund doesn't call it that, because it's not required to (the fee is buried in the "other" expenses). But it's a shareholder servicing fee nonetheless. Quoting the SEC on this matter:
    Some 12b-1 plans also authorize and include "shareholder service fees," which are fees paid to persons to respond to investor inquiries and provide investors with information about their investments. A fund may pay shareholder service fees without adopting a 12b-1 plan. If shareholder service fees are part of a fund’s 12b-1 plan, these fees will be included in this category of the fee table. If shareholder service fees are paid outside a 12b-1 plan, then they will be included in the "Other expenses" category.... FINRA imposes an annual .25% cap on shareholder service fees (regardless of whether these fees are authorized as part of a 12b-1 plan).