Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Skeeter, et al; comments/thoughts regarding this chart

edited August 2011 in Off-Topic
Hi Skeeter,
Hopefully, this linked chart may also allow you to change some settings that you may use other than what is set now. I chose VTI, as I recall you look at this index; and I do, too. Near the top ticker area the chart is set to "daily" which reflects a different chart vs the other choice of "weekly".
Have you any opinions regarding the indicators or settings?
I ask, as I do checks of broad parts of charts; but have yet to "learn" all the basics; as MACD and related.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=VTI&p=D&yr=3&mn=0&dy=0&id=p22125164495

Regards,
Catch

Comments

• Hi Catch,

I have linked the chart for VTI set to my settings. It is very close to yours. On moving averages I look at 10, 65, 200. On Money Flow ... I have it set at 9 days (this number can be divided by 3). MACD ... is set at 27, 12, 9 (all these numbers can be divided by 3) and the Slow Stoch ... is set at 15, 5 (5X3=15).

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=VTI#chart2:symbol=vti;range=1y;indicator=dividend+split+sma(10,65,200)+macd(27, 12, 9)+mfi(9)+stochasticslow;charttype=line;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=on;source=undefined

I like to use numbers that can be divided by three or are multiples of three in my indicators ... and, with this, the three indicators I use beside price movement and its associated moving averages are Money Flow, MACD and Slow Stoch. This comes from my perspectives on life and beliefs. Interesting the number Three is associated with the saying Three Times the Charm ... The Trintity - The Father, The Son and Holy Ghost ... The Division of Time - Past, Present and Future ... Unity - Body, Mind and Spirit ... The Simplist Proposition - the Subject, the Predicate, the Copula ... Three Propositions are necessary to present an Argument - The Major Premiss, the Minor Premiss and the Conclusion. It is inteesting that the only number found that can be divided into the dimensions found in the anicent temples of worship is three. With this, there must be something to the number three and this is why I use it.

My analysis of the markets is currently drawn from more of a fundamental based conclusion than a technical based conclusion. I feel the press recently made some investors nervous and with this they sold on emotion rather than thought. No doubt some sold because they were facing increased capital calls on their leveraged asset pool and were forced to sell because of the increased capital requirements. To me this created an opportunity to buy good dividend paying stocks during this correction so I discounted the technicals and went more with fundamentals. I do use both in my SWAG process. I hope my comments help you in some way.

Good Investing,
    Skeeter
  • Morningstar's Market Valuation ... A Recap of Valuation of Sorts. It's linked below.

http://www.morningstar.com/market-valuation/market-fair-value-graph.aspx

Good Investing,
    Skeeter