Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Eight Bells and All's Well

edited January 2014 in Fund Discussions
Well, all's well, eh?

1. Okay, no one is really sure of unemployment numbers; except the unemployed. Ya, right !!!

2. And yes, I do believe the Euroland still has problems, in spite of bond sales and prices being in crazy
land pricing for places like Spain, Portugal and Ireland. These folks still have serious problems that won't go
away by an ECB decision, and sure as hell ain't fixed yet; and likely not for several more years....at least.

3. Japan will take the Yen down the beaten path....a "whatever it takes". Go'in for that 2% inflation along
with a new personal consumption tax coming in April. Not sure what those folks are smok'in these days.
3a. Latin America.....commodity dings and dents continue to bother this area.
3b. Australia bothered by what bothers China. Can one trust numbers out of China's political system anymore
that any other large central bank country? I don't think so.
3c. Emerging markets may only observe the action and reactions at this time, I do believe.

4. I can't find a very good reason why any central bank is going anywhere but maintain low rates or
reduce more...........that be'in more QE; past whatever words come into the press releases.

5. It appears the only "ringer" or swan of a non-white color that would hammer the markets would be if
Dennis Rodman actually pushed the launch button for a North Korean missle that landed in the Ginza district of Tokyo. Now, if Mr. Rodman was actually riding the missle; that would be a different market scenario.

Looks like party on..........now which equity funds to add, eh? Maybe more bond funds.......
Pretty scary stuff with most bond types outperforming equities to this date, in this new year.

May just as well follow down into the rabbit hole and view Alice's Wonderland of investments.

History of Eight Bells

You will/may have a different opinion. Let's chat, eh?

Regards,
Catch

Comments

• My favorite watch was the 0400-0800. The sunrise at sea is always something.
  • Building starts all around. IPO resurgence. Hey, even home improvement loans coming back.

If...

Companies start increasing CAPEX, like oil houses have done recently, to help create real growth (versus EPS engineering via buy backs),

Credit remains low, available, accommodating,

Washington does not jump off tracks,

Our workforce remains robust and capable,

World remains at (relative) peace,

Then...

Our reluctant bull continues.
  • I like what Liza Ann Sonders had to say in her writeup at Schwab. http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/resource_center/expert_insight/todays_market/sonders/sonders_turn_the_page_outlook_for_2014.html

She expects a correction sometime during the year as we have had a good run up. Nonetheless, she also expects a decent year.

Unemployment remains high and in part due to the shrinking labor force. The ways they count unemployed try to make the numbers look favorable. A lot of part time jobs have replaced full time jobs due to the 0bamacare plan.

I have the unique circumstance to visit the US once a year. I am a expat and travel a bit but end up in the states each year to visit family and friends. I get a good idea if the economy is growing or slowing instead of being there daily. I can tell you that in my last visit to the states this past fall (due to a death in the family) the economy has picked up some. Still, too many businesses closed. A lot of stores with no shoppers. Any store that has more employees than shoppers inside is one I would not invest in. (Sears, JCP) I will be back stateside in March so I will observe and report back again. I know this is a limited and non-scientific observation in one region of the country.

Anyway, I am still bullish.
  • Hi Catch 22,

Old_Skeet here ... aka Skeeter ... Glad to see you are posting again. Just letting you know I stopped by. Hope you will restart posting again.

Old_Skeet
  • edited January 2014
    Reply to @JohnChisum:
    Any store that has more employees than shoppers inside is one I would not invest in.
    Love it.