Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Catalyst Hedged Futures HFXIX

edited January 2014 in Fund Discussions
This is an interesting fund which was converted from the hedge fund. Thus, the figure that I am going to attach does not mean much... and yet is looks quite intriguing:

After the conversion, its performance was unimpressive, but... maybe we should follow it a bit?
Any comments?

Comments

• edited January 2014
    I look for the negatives when considering a fund. This fund would have lost (3.3%) in 2013 according to M*. I'm just not a Futures fund fan - they never run smooth.
  • I think managed futures is an interesting category, but I've always thought it required a greater degree of flexibility and the ability to be more nimble than a mutual fund is capable of being. I've often thought and said that managed futures works better as a hedge fund than a mutual fund and the above chart really appears to kinda prove that out. The only reasonably decent futures fund that I've seen is the AQR fund and I wouldn't even really recommend that.