Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M* Chart tool: Rolling Returns

beebee
edited January 2014 in Fund Discussions
Using M* chart tool there is a "rolling return" option which is describe as follows:

"The goal is to show you the frequency and magnitude of an investment's good and bad performance periods."

Full discription here:
morningstar.com/InvGlossary/rolling-returns.aspx

Mutual funds are typically bought with a longer time frame in mind, in fact short term holding periods are often accompanied with early redemption fee or future trading restrictions. Rolling Returns get to the heart of a mutual fund investors "holding period" success.

My question is: When a fund is purchased wouldn't the rolling return chart help provide a more accurate picture of an individuals performance? Basically an individual's investment success should be a combination of a mutual fund's performance over a particular holding period.

M* has rolling return setting that can be displayed as short as 3 months (usually the shortest holding period to avoid redemption fees) all the way up to 60 months (which often is mentioned as a minimum time frame for an equity fund manager to achieve a particular strategy.

Anyone using Rolling Return charts for your mutual funds?

Here's a link to M* chart link for VWELX. The rolling return feature can be found in the growth tab and then adjusted by time from (3-60 months):

quote.morningstar.com/fund/chart.aspx?t=VWELX&region=usa&culture=en-US

Comments

• Dear Bee: Keep up the good work, especially the graphics, and keep on Rolling !
    Regards,
    Ted

• edited January 2014
    Hi bee. Ha! I never noticed the feature, but I like it, especially the ability to change window period...for all the reasons you note. Good stuff.
  • Very nice! Wish they would do that for ETFs as well.