Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

John Williams of Shadow Stats: Interview on 2014 HyperInflation Call

beebee
edited January 2014 in Off-Topic
We've been pushing problems into the future...well, the future is here"

Interview

Comments

• wonderful clip but then he's always been one of my favorites.

peace,

rono
  • I don't disagree with a fair amount of what Williams has said, but he's sort of Hussmaning. I think people should devote a good deal of their portfolio to companies that can fare well in inflation - core needs, healthcare, real estate, "toll road" style companies (pipelines), real assets (oil co's, other commodity co's, etc) and more. I do think that people should be diversfied globally. I do think that there is more inflation than the CPI indicates and that a significant portion of the population is being noticeably effected by it in their daily lives. If prices aren't going up, portions are going down (or both.)

If there was hyperinflation, I feel as if that would come from an external source and that would cause ripples globally. I feel, if anything, more likely would be a move towards a centralized currency (SDRs?) and away from the dollar as the global reserve currency. That would be a huge change globally - and I think the dollar will not only not be the global reserve currency forever, but that there will be changes in that direction over the next decade), but it would be a somewhat more gradual move towards a rebalancing in the global economy vs some other countries doing something suddenly (end of the Petrodollar?) that would cause dollar problems quickly.
  • TedTed
    edited January 2014
    Reply to @scott: John Williams have been eating hyperinflation for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for so many year, he soon will need a colon irrigation.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://www.avaresearch.com/avanew/articles/691/Dismantling-John-Williams-Hyperinflation-Predictions.html
  • Inflation is here for sure. The govt. just changes the way it is reported. It's not as bad as the 70's though during the Carter Malaise.