Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Portfolio construction for tp2006

2»

Comments

• Reply to @cman:
    "As to questions about AA arising naturally, I am reminded of the words of astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson in a recent interview:
    "You don't ask questions about how fast the galaxies are moving, if you don't know galaxies are moving. You don't ask about how many galaxies are there, if you don't know there are other galaxies"

Regards,
    Ted
  • edited January 2014
    Reply to @mrdarcey: Watch with some of the commodity ETFs that they are structures as partnerships and result in K-1 forms at tax time. I'm not against commodity investing at all, just something to be aware of. DBC results in a K-1, even if you own it for minutes. I'd rather Pimco Commodity RR than the commodity ETFs.
  • Reply to @cman:
    Obviously, I can not assume or answer to who has knowledge of or cares about asset allocation among those who post or only read at this site.
    You have the presumption that AA has not been discussed here. You should start a thread once a month for all to become more familiar with the topic.
    Behavior, in my opinion; is one of the most critical aspects towards investing and has a very powerful effect on investing outcomes.
    All input regarding investing is valid, eh?
    I always must presume that every day here at MFO someone new to investing or to the site is reading their first thread here.
    I suspect the vast majority learn something new everyday, and that is the purpose of the site.
    If folks collect funds in the beginning of their investing period or further into their investment lifetime; they will have to make their own determination(s) about how valid any overlaps come to light. Reworking behavior about fund holdings and how many is part of the reason, I would hope; that folks are here.

Today, with the internet, is vastly different to help discover any and all of this related behavior and understanding one's interactions with their investments.

In the wayback days our house had to wait for the next day (at best) arrival of the WSJ and Barron's to learn much; let alone trips to the local library for other "stuff" for research. We survived best we could with stale data and stories.

Well, I'm done with this topic for now. I'm sure it will be discussed again at some point in the future.

Back to pushing more snow into a different pile.