Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

These Balanced Mutual Funds Stay A float Even When Bonds Sink

Comments

• Well, I guess I am in good company as I've got two the three mentioned in the article ... DDIAX and HWIAX. Hey, I use to be pretty good at picking dogs too. Old_Skeet
  • Reply to @Old_Skeet:

I'm just one for three. And, my wife is much better than me at picking dogs!

I am curious about what drew you to DDIAX. I added HWIAX to my portfolio a little over a year ago to replace HEIFX. It sits beside FPACX and ICMBX in the moderate volatility portion of the portfolio. Those two have been there for several years. I notice DDIAX holds convertibles as well as bonds. Was that a significant factor?
  • edited January 2014
    Reply to @davfor:

I studied a good number of hybrid type funds looking for those that had a reasonable representation to assets classified by Morningstar's Instant Xray analysis as other.

In most cases this could be convertible, preferred, master limited partnerships, funds that employee some type of special strategy, metals, commodities, derivatives, equity linked notes, etc. DDIAX was a fund that fit what I was looking for and currently holds about 20% of its assets now classified as other by Morningstar. In addition, I also hold a good number of funds like this. A few more that you might wish to research that I own are ISFAX, LABFX, PGBAX, FKINX, PASAX, AZNAX, NEFZX, CFIAX, MFLDX, JCRAX & LPEFX, I am sure there are others.

I hope this helps.

Old_Skeet

• Reply to @Old_Skeet:

Your logic on DDIAX makes sense. It is kind of what I suspected it would be. And, thanks for the other suggestions. I will check out the ones that don't sound familiar. I have owned MFLDX for about 4 years and have it pigeon holed in the Long-Short section of my portfolio next to the 3 funds I mentioned in my previous comment. I owned PGBAX until the end of 2013. But, it lost out when I did my year-end rebalancing. Most of the rest will require some checking....probably just to refresh my less than stellar memory in some cases!
  • when your talking balanced funds, you have to include the old stalwarts, BERIX, VWINX, VWELX