Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Just the "old-fashioned" money rotation, eh?

edited January 2014 in Fund Discussions
Well, the U.S. at the start of the day is gathering the money flows from other places, eh? Not a highly motivated bunch regarding flight to safety as the U.S. Treasury issues are just so-so as well as some other investment grade bonds; although HY bonds are happy at the moment. On the EM front: Turkey is having a heck of a time with social matters. Argentina continues to get some press, too; regarding foreign payments and all other matters related to money both internal and external. Argentina has many long standing problems with the "trust" issue relative to how the "government ???" there does things. China, don't know what to mention......I wish that I had some folks there I could call; but there is so much noise and other data from the mainland; I'll defer to those who think they know the reality. 'Course China, in theory, needs to be watched because of size and impact upon some other countries regarding natural resources in particular. I would think their wealth funds and companies welcome the drawdowns (prices) in some areas for an opportunity to buy more resource companies.

Europe a bit strange at 10 am EST

England, Belgium and Austria ??? Some folks must still like France.
Don't know about the first two; but from several years ago the Austrian banks were reported to have more toxic stuff in their books than most Euro banks. Perhaps there are still some more unknowns there.

Anyway, the short story appears to be a normal rotation of hot monies. We'll have to wait to find if there is more to the profit taking elsewhere (U.S.). Overall, if the burndown continues in the EM's, and more in Europe and then begins again here; our house would then have to take a very close view of more serious profit taking in our equity market by the big financial houses. The stages are kinda set, eh?; but we have not seen who all of the actors will be upon the real stage; nor are they on the "red carpet area", at this time.

Hey, I'm too cold from being outside moving more snow. Maybe I'm just having a brain freeze with this stuff above.

Take care of you and yours,
Catch

Comments

• Dear Catch: What you need to do is get out of the cold, have a hot cup of coffee, and Twitter,
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited January 2014
    Morn'in Ted,

I liked that......thanks, a good one.

As to Twitter, I am taking all precautions in the bitter Michigan cold that I don't get frostbite on my Twitter; although a neighbor reportedly did have such a problem.
    One can not be over-cautious in -30 chill factors outside; in protecting one's Twitter from frostbite.

Ted, I know you'll be pleased to know that all of our equity holdings are currently U.S.-centric; from large to small cap, with some PRHSX thrown in the mix. A few foreign pieces here and there at the active managers discretion.

Hey, take care.
    Catch
  • Reply to @catch22: You know, I'm getting to like your style, I take back everything I said about your Fund Boat. My wife just came in the room and ask me why I had my fingers crossed ? Stay Warm !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Hi Ted,

Lastly, the current feelings in image form regarding this lovely winter, to date.

Take care,
    Catch
  • Reply to @catch22: Do you live in the UP or LP of Michigan ?
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited January 2014
    Reply to @Ted: I think everybody here would be grateful for a more harmonious relationship between the two of you. Congrats on the effort.

As to your other question, Catch is in the LP as am I. Don't let that fool you. We get some wicked winter weather. The other day I resorted to something I've only done once before in over 30 years. Ran the 9HP blower up ramps onto the 16X30' deck along side the house to clear off 3' of heavy wind packed snow! (Still working on a way to get it up on the roof:-)
    Regards

• edited January 2014
    Hi hank,

Thanks for the roof video. I did this only once in the last 30 years, too. When we had a 16" single stage snowblower that I could "skid" up an an extension ladder in the year 2000. We had a nasty northeastern storm off of Lake Huron that dumped 20" in 24 hours. 'Course, as you are aware; tis the darned high winds that cause even more grief. Our house has a row of large pine trees to the easterly side and that snow and wind blew neaty over the tree tops and dumped directly onto the roof and surrounding house area. A major roof clean project that took two full days of time to remove the deepest snow areas.

To keep this to the investing side. These events have been an explanation to others as to why to invest for the future.
    We now have a larger two stage blower that I can not hoist to the roof.
    There will be more points in time going forward that with all of the "homeowner" stuff I have done over many years will no longer be in my range of physical ability. Thus, money (profits) to pay someone else.

I know your area is getting pounded pretty good this year. A nephew near Fife Lake has been busy too, with the snow.

Ted and I will be fine.

Take care,
    Catch
  • Reply to @catch22: Now your talking, the doctor told me three years ago no more snow shoveling or blowing, I now have someone do it for me. Since December, I've been plowed 8 times when we have had more that two inches of snow here in Olympia Fields.
    Regards,
    Ted

P.S. Doesn't the snow blower damage the wood on Hank's deck and your roof ?
  • Hi Ted,

Your question: "Doesn't the snow blower damage the wood on Hank's deck and your roof ?"
    Excellent question.
    I should have mentioned that the small gas powered snowblower was fairly light and easy to handle. But, yes; I had to be very careful with keeping the front nose and the auger a few inches above the shingled roof deck as to not rip up shingles. Thankfully, our house has a very low pitched roof (California ranch type) that helped with the safety aspect and more easy control of the snowblower. At the time; the really serious circumstance existed that the tremendous weigh load of the snow could bring the roof down, buckle side walls or lay upon the roof too long to begin to form ice layers against the shingles.....another serious problem.
    The temps after the storm in 2000 warmed enough for a few days to allow ice melter (not salt) to function. Much of the roof was covered via hand spreading the melter. This and some sunshine helped clear most of the roof area to a safe depth of snow.
    'Course, with all of this existed that not many folks were able to travel the roads for a few days either.

Ah, wintertime fun.

Take care,
    Catch
  • Hi Catch 22,

Nice to have you back on the board more often. Keeping all my northern friends on the board in my thoughts during these winter storms. Although, we are having a cold winter in the south it is nothing like what is happening in the midwest and up north.

Stay safe!

Old_Skeet