Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

MFO: LOVE @ FIRST CLICK, THE WOW FACTOR & SEDUCTION.....APRIL 10, 2011

edited April 2011 in Off-Topic
Howdy,

Hey, I am sure you have visited a warm season location, busy with tourists; many of whom, at some time during their stay in the area
will walk the main street area of a quaint little village or a similar section of a larger city. The tourists are peeking into the many different
stores, perhaps looking for a t-shirt monogrammed with the name of the area or city. At some point in time, there may be a search and
decisions to be made about breakfast, lunch or supper.

Do you recall seeing the billboards on the outer restaurant wall; or perhaps the triangular billboards upon the sidewalk in front of the many sandwich shops
or full service restaurants. Some advertise much better than others. And there is so much competition; as one finds 20 such eating places
in just 3 blocks of walking the street.

Okay. You and the family already know the highlights of the area you are visiting; as these are the reasons you are there in the first place.
You have your place to rest your heads for five days and nights, but as you are a stranger in this town; and everyone has to eat, and
enjoyable meals are part of a pleasant vacation, one of the first things to do while walking about the streets is to attempt to the determine the
likely best places for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

You decide to look at the full service restaurants as you stroll along; and note their menus. Some only state that they are a full service restaurant.
Others advertise their speciality is dessert and list their choices. BUT, you come upon a few restaurants that list the choices for breakfast,
lunch, dinner, daily specials and all 38 flavors of ice cream. Tis all there, for us to take in; at first glance. The whole "thread" of choices is there,
in their own sectioned/laddered views. Personally, I am a big fan for "fried chicken livers", so I already know which restaurant I choose.

We find that there are choices all of us would enjoy. We pass on the other full service restuarants that didn't really let us readily find or look
at their menu choices.

All of us were won over with the menus we could see in full. The WOW factor had seduced us.

In particular, with the new visitors who have and will continue to discover MFO; they need to have a wow and be seduced after that first click onto the
"fund" discussion button. I don't find that feeling right now. We all know that they will be more than pleased that they have found such a wonderful site;
and group of sharing people. The best method possible must be presented to get them to be glad they came and stayed; after viewing the first page
they see when clicking the "fund" icon.

The FA discussion board had about 1 month worth of posts before going into the "electronic/gone forever bucket", amounting to several hundred
active and clickable lines always ready for the read. A lot of "stuff", for sure. Fund names, subject titles and poster names. Yes, FA had the search button; but when I was away from the site for more than a few days, I merely opened the discussion link, did the old "control and F key" and whamo, there was me handy-dandy search window. I typed in whatever name I was looking for and just hopped my way from the top to the bottom of the page
not time.

Yes, I am fighting for a threaded and laddered reply format; not unlike FA. The MFO site will have more bells and such; and this is also welcomed.

A continued thank you, for the tireless efforts towards the new site; for those I have not yet met.

Hoping the grammer and spelling is okay....I'm on the run today, Sunday; and this is a rush job.
AND, I sure hope the words and meanings make some sense, too.

Regards,
catch

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Hi Catch, just skimmed your short novel but think I deciphered most of the sentiment. Sounds a bit like an excellent post by Old Joe that was placed in the "technical" category. I will try to link it just in case you diidnt see it and also because I'm trying to figure out how to do links. Been busy past week so not much chance to play around here. I can see the board improving daily and gettin easier to navigate. Davids doing a great job gettin it up and running. However, I do find that without the name of the person doing the original post, much of the value is missing. Not that I liked or disliked any people, but the name was like the cover of a book, grabbed your attention and gave ya some idea what to expect if you pursued the thread. Rono likely gold. You likely bonds. Investor a reasoned balanced perspective. John and Ted helpful links, etc. etc. Anyhow, hang in there as I do believe progress is coming.
    http://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss.php#/discussion/87/is-it-me-or...
  • Hi hank, I thank you for the link. I did read OJ's post and we are pushing the same boat with different words. And the site is getting better each day. I always look around to find if there is something new to discover.
    You and yours take care of yourselves,
    catch