Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Cold Weather Offers Hot Investment Plays

TedTed
edited January 2014 in Fund Discussions
FYI: Natural Gas very, very short-term play !
Regards,
Ted
http://www.investmentnews.com/article/20140130/FREE/140139993?template=printart

Comments

• Howdy,

Yeah, I've been watching it but I'm playing it with my two local utes. With the fracking and 'unlimited stateside supply' this is a very tricky play on the long side.

peace,

rono
  • Reply to @ Ron: Yes, as I said in an earlier post a week ago or so, the U.S is a wash in natural gas that has only been enhanced by fracking technology. In fact we can't ship it overseas fast enough.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • My suggestion...capture the burn off. I heard a figure of close to million dollars a day in NG is flared off into the air. We are a very wasteful species.

"The Bakken night sky now looks more like New York City or Chicago than what historically was western North Dakota,"

news.nationalgeographic.com/news/energy/2013/10/131009-budget-woes-darken-space-view-of-gas-flaring/
  • edited January 2014
    Reply to @bee: It is pretty remarkable - they need the infrastructure, but it's probably a matter of dealing with a ton of regulations. As I've noted before, I continue to like energy infrastructure and rails - they aren't going to be building more of either quickly and the dominant companies are going to continue to dominate. In fact, I may add more to some of these companies over the next week or two if markets continue South.