Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Cripes. It should be built and I'm a card carrying tree hugger. Build it with the ROW planted and maintained with native plants to serve as a wildlife corridor. Bond for regular maintenance.

Pipeline is the most efficient mode of transportation for liquids. Period.

peace,

rono
  • edited January 2014
    Canada/Alberta will move their product somehow someway.
    Energy
    KELLY CRYDERMAN

CALGARY — The Globe and Mail
    Pipeline expansion moves ahead in Alberta
    While controversy surrounds the proposed Keystone XL and Northern Gateway projects, a number of smaller pipeline builds or expansions are going ahead in northern Alberta with barely a whisper.
    Despite transportation bottlenecks in getting crude out of landlocked Alberta, burgeoning local pipeline infrastructure in the province’s oil sands regions reflects the desire of producers to find new routes to move increasing production.
    The main goal is always to bring oil to a place where another pipeline will pick it up and take it further, but the “unfavourable regulatory environment” for long-distance pipelines, especially into the U.S., means the industry is also building more rail hubs to connect oil to markets, he noted.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/pipeline-expansion-moves-ahead-in-alberta/article16588342/

OTCMKTS: IPPLF 24.88
    +0.85 (3.52%)
    https://www.google.com/finance?q=OTCMKTS:IPPLF&ei=Ag7sUuDHMcmzqQH0rQE
  • edited January 2014
    Canadian dollar at something like a 4 year low. People can look at Transcanada (TRP), Enbridge (ENB), Gibson (GBNXF.PK), InterPipeline (IPPLF), Enbridge Income Fund (EBGUF.PK), Vermilion (VET), Crescent Point (CPG), Pembina (PBA) and others. All of these pay around a 4% yield or higher, some of them pay monthly.

Freehold Royalities (FRHLF.PK) is another one, which yields around 8% at this point.

I particularly like Gibson because you get energy infrastructure and a few other interesting divisions, including environmental services. Inter Pipeline has had a pretty amazing run, too. Inter Pipeline (I believe) was largely restricted to Canadian investors but has restructured (it used to be Inter Pipeline Fund.) Keyera (KEYUF.pk) has a lesser yield but has also done incredibly well.
  • Reply to @Ted: Oh, the decision still certainly has hurdles. If it is still denied, to me it just makes the existing pipeline operators that more appealing from the standpoint of you have dominant companies who will have a lock on the industry. If they don't approve, it won't surprise me - they're not building energy infrastructure (refineries, pipelines, etc.) in this country, they're not building a smart grid, they're not putting money into infrastructure in general.