Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Twitter Obtwitterated After Earnings

Comments

• Dear Scott: Nobody cares !
    Regards,
    Ted
    Twitter Is Stupid:
  • edited February 2014
    I completely agree with you. There will be a couple of these social media companies that stick around but they're all overhyped. People love investing in fads, but I continue to think that it all comes back to things that are needed and aren't "sexy". What kind of things stand the test of time? What have people needed for decades and will need for decades to come?
  • edited February 2014
    Ha!

Worse now...

Hey, gotta think wiser folks saw this coming. Expectations WAY too high. No way to meet.

Took FB a while to start reporting encouraging earnings.

AMZN still not really there...but, perhaps the AMZN in 2001 is better comparison.

But even down 17%, isn't it still up over initial offering price?
  • edited February 2014
    54.00-11.97 (-18.14%) # daammmmmmmnnnnn

Will we see -20%?

I just think hype on social media was too high. Yelp is the other one, although that did okay after hours. OpenTable, too. OPEN is already seeing competition from Groupon's Reserve.

Amazon really walks the line between either not living up to the hype and being overly opaque or the dominant player. Wal-Mart, meanwhile, is down quite a bit. I even think Google, while certainly not an apples-to-apples comparison, is appealing.

Twitter's earnings actually were a bit better than expected. It was their user growth numbers that have taken the stock down this much.

I have one or two speculative tech plays, but they're small. Tech that allows me to sleep at night is more something like QCOM.