Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

3D Printing and Technology Fund prospectus/registration

Comments

• ....and just as DDD takes a 25% drop yesterday, taking much of the sector down with it.
  • Reply to @scott: We need to have a pool as to how long this turkey will be around. Will it make it to Thanksgiving Day.
    Regards,
    Ted

Article: You must be 21 or older to watch the video !
    http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/31/investing/3d-printing-fund/
  • edited February 2014
    Reply to @Ted: 3D printing is actually, unlike social media, something I find rather fascinating. I do think it is a legitimate industry that is in many ways groundbreaking and probably going to lead to a lot of changes in various industries. That said, the stocks were as overdone as many of the social media stocks. I do think you're going to see one or more of these companies settle out over time and do very well.

In the short-to-mid term, there could very well be more downside. The mutual fund based upon this small sector was definitely not a good (and was a bizarre) sign. You have such desperation in this market to find anything resembling growth that things that generate excitement - social media, 3D printing - are driven to astronomical levels.

But, again, I think there's a lot of promise over the long term. Between now and then these stocks could very well go lower and are going to be highly volatile.

• TedTed
    edited February 2014
    Reply to @scott: Scott I agree that the 3D printing technology has great promise, however; this fund has too narrow a focus to survive.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • If this fund focused on emerging technology it might be a good play. Besides 3D printing there is bionics, wearable tech, and a whole bunch of other ideas.
  • Reply to @JohnChisum: I like home automation/internet of things.
  • Reply to @scott: Yep, another good sector.