Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Scott Burns: Hedge Funds: Big on Buns, Short On Beef

Comments

• His Coffeehouse Portfolio sucked last year relative to S&P, so he has to find a target to feel good about himself. A bit of class bashing to appeal to the masses will surely help. Those dumb rich deserve to lose.

Never mind that these lazy portfolio peddlers used a bad benchmark of beating S&P to promote them even though they added riskier assets than S&P that over performed over S&P to give them bragging rights. That fallacy came home to roost last year.

Never mind that they confused the volatility reduction benefits of diversification to imply higher risk-adjusted performance. This fallacy was shown up last year.

Never mind that the world of hedge funds is a very wide one from capital preservation strategies to absolute returns to focused multi year bets to ... to make an average over all of them meaningless. Why not compare the average returns over ALL mutual funds to average returns over all hedge funds.

Opium for the masses.
  • Reply to @cman: The 'Coffeehouse Portfolio' belongs to Bill Schultheis, not Scott Burns. Now tell how you really feel about Scott.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Reply to @Ted: Perhaps you should read some of the articles/sites you link to.:-)

You are correct that there is an original coffehouse portfolio of half total bonds, half total stock market. Burns adopted that to propose a number of lazy portfolios under the Couch Potato Portfolio strategy that has been associated with his name. It is the basic premise of his advisory service. He has completely adopted that named strategy as his own in his writings.

assetbuilder.com/company/the_evolution_of_the_couch_potato

Which is why the article you linked had at the beginning:
    As I pointed out last week, the basic Couch Potato portfolio had a humbling year for 2013. But it still trounced the Bloomberg Hedge Funds Aggregate Index.
    My comment is in that context.
  • Reply to @cman: Maybe you should take the time to look at the 'Coffeehouse Portfolio', it's a lot more than 50% stocks, 50% bonds.
    Regards,
    Ted

Coffeehouse Portfolio: (Seven Funds)
    http://www.marketwatch.com/lazyportfolio/portfolio/coffeehouse
    Couch Potato Portfolio: ( Two Funds)
    http://assetbuilder.com/lazy_portfolios/Returns/couch_potato_portfolios/couch_potato
  • Reply to @cman: I agree with you, but I'll also add whoever came up with the name "Coffeehouse Portfolio" sucks. Hey, I'm going to start an ETF called the Quirky Name Fund. People will say,

"I'm a couch potato who likes investing, but doesn't like thinking. Is this right for me?" "Sure!"

"I go to coffeehouses and I'm not sure how that has anything to do with my investment style, but is this right for me somehow?" "Sure, why not!"

• Reply to @Ted: My bad, replace wherever I said coffehouse with couch potato. I have been using these two interchangeably. Mind fade.

My comments are all about Scott Burns and his Couch Potato portfolio strategy to be clear.
  • Reply to @cman: I'm sorry that is was 'mind fade", but you'll still need to go to the wood shed.
    Regards,
    Ted

Wood Shed;