Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

ARTGX or a combination of oakmx and fmijx?

edited February 2014 in Fund Discussions
I was going to jump into artgx for my US and foreign large capitalization investment, but was wondering if investing into oakmx and fmijx would be potentially better combination.. Currently, one of my core holdings is prblx, which I would sell if I invested in both oakmx and fmijx. I know that prblx isn't a 'great owl' fund, but I do like its socially conscious investment philosophy.

Either choice would fit my allocation objectives, risk characteristics, etc.. but wanted to see if anyone had an other thoughts regarding this question.

Thank you for your insights!

Comments

• This might help others read your post: ARTGX OAKMX FMIJX PRBLX
  • Reply to @MikeM: Thanks MikeM!
  • edited February 2014
    I don't know how your portfolio is stacked up risk-wise, so this is just a heads-up, not a recommendation: FMIJX is excellent if you want a lower volatility approach to international. They can and so far have hedged most of the currency risk, and their value discipline has been really sound so far.

Think of it as very similar to ARTKX without the foreign currency exposure. During the only big downdraft in its 3-year life, Q3-11, FMIJX lost 12% while ARTKX lost 18%. (Both funds get the best risk scores from the usual rating gangs ('Low' at M* and 5 at Lipper)).
  • Depends on what the rest of your portfolio is like and how much you are allocating to this. For example, if it is a few percent in a collection of funds, this decision has no material impact to spend much time on this. If this decision affects your entire portfolio allocation to US and International equities, then either decision might be bad.

The reality is likely somewhere in between in your case. Any suggestion or recommendation without that context is useless and simply reflects the assumptions of people providing feedback regarding the allocation and not necessarily relevant to you. If you are just looking for support of a decision you have already made, then you will likely find it here with lack of context.

Perhaps, you can post the context of your portfolio to get meaningful recommendations.
  • edited February 2014
    Currently, one of my core holdings is PRBLX, which I would sell if I invested in both OAKMX and FMIJX. I know that PRBLX isn't a 'Great Owl' fund, but I do like its socially conscious investment philosophy.
    Hmmm....PRBLX has "fund-of-a-lifetime" numbers, seems like:

Personally, I would want to never sell this fund. Congrats on holding it.
  • edited February 2014
    Thank you all for responding! For those of you interested, my portfolio consists of:

20% Artisan Global Small Cap ARTWX
    52% Parnassus Equity Income PRBLX
    8% Homestead Small Company Stock HSCSX
    and 20% cash.

I was looking for a global/foreign large cap fund to add, and later on PONDX, an emerging market fund, and maybe AKREX.

Feel free to critique my portfolio.. Note that I intend to hold these funds for 15+ years..
  • One reason PRBLX isn't a "great owl" or whatever is that it changed its mandate in 1998 from a balanced fund to an equity income fund. So it gets docked here for a sort of M* classification problem. If the cut-off were 15 years of top quintile returns, it might meet Charles' criteria. It seems as steady as they come, and I've been happy with it as a core fund.

If you're concerned about volatility, you could do worse than PRBLX and something like FMIJX. Just keep in mind you lose the benefit of currency diversification with FMI. If you want the diversification with less volatility, maybe FPIVX or FPRAX? If you can stomach a little more volatility, your options open up, and might include something like OAKMX and OAKIX, which can still be bought directly from Harris.

Our portfolios aren't that dissimilar. I'm buying ARTGX today to replace DODWX, so we'll see how the mix of PRBLX and ARTGX work as a core. I worry there might be some overlap, so like you, I might include a smaller growth fund to eventually compliment it.
  • Reply to @lord_nelson: This is probably not what you wanted to hear but with what appears to be your portfolio philosophy, forget about owning any of these for 15+ years. You will likely get a 7 year itch to replace even the ones that has served you well like PRBLX and/or some of these shiny new funds at the moment may no longer seem so, after a couple of years if they haven't actually crashed and burnt before then.:-)

The new ones being considered here are from good fund families with good managers but they just don't have the history to say how they will do as they gather assets and market conditions change. Even so, it may be fine if you have an active portfolio management strategy that has a plan to buy and sell based on some meaningful criterion, not what is shining recently. I am not sure you want shiny new funds as the core part of your portfolio.

I do not think it is smart to allocate more than 20% of your portfolio to funds as core holdings without a history unless you have a really small portfolio where it wouldn't make much difference. You may land up being disappointed on their performance over time or worse find that they have damaged your portfolio with underperformance in certain market conditions.

My recommendations are based on my rough guidelines here as a portfolio strategy that uses both index funds and active or specialty funds as appropriate for the stage you are in.

You have a 80% equity strategy with 20% in cash. This is fine if you are in accumulation phase with a small portfolio with a 25-30+ year timeframe or in the growth phase with a 15-25 year time frame. If the former, then I would forget active funds and get a diversified allocation with index funds. You dont need any hedging against market risk over that time frame, and it is difficult to find active funds that will overperform over a long period. At best they will underperform without any significant benefits. If you are in the latter growth stage, it might be useful to move 20% of your indexed core to specialty and allocation funds and over time increase the latter by adding more and more risk managed active funds as you get closer to your distribution years.

If you are in such a growth stage, keep the PRBLX as part of your core 60% or switch to a large cap blend index, supplement with a small blend index, an international index covering both DM and EM or separate DM and EM indices. Possibly in equal proportions in this 60%. Allocate 20% of the rest to sectors that have good beta performance and small amounts in it to shiny new funds just to satisfy your itch without harming your portfolio. You can even use the cash portion to include balanced/allocation funds for the full 40% and let them decide on cash. Initially start with high beta funds that are likely to over perform relative to the broad indices in the core (not their category indices) and slowly move them into more conservative funds with capital protection strategy as a glideslope to your retirement.

So, the questions you are asking about the funds other than PRBLX should really be in the 20% pot outside the core 60% and not trying to replace any fund in the core.

Be careful about use of volatility in evaluating new funds such as FMIJX. They can change very quickly as the fund enters some turbulence for its investment strategy. I don't think there is any justification to think FMIJX will necrssarily be a low volatility fund. It may turn out to be a great fund but hasn't proved itself as yet so shouldn't be part of core portfolio.