Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

MAPIX not a darling anymore?

edited February 2014 in Fund Discussions
Other than Bee, seems like everyone is dumping or greatly reducing their money in MAPIX.....given the problems that emerging markets have faced recently it still seems to have held its own relatively well. I would like to hear your thoughts on why you reduced (or increased in a few cases) your exposure to the fund.....I am an investor in the fund, but see this time more as an opportunity to add, then subtract.....but maybe I am just way out there.....thanks.

Comments

• Agreed, I too own MAPIX and have no plans on reducing it. At some point I will add to it and get it back to my desired portfolio percentage.

I have found that, for the most part, being contrarian works. Maybe not always, but more often than not, at least, that is my experience.

Matt
  • edited February 2014
    Though I made some big, overdue moves a few months ago, I resisted reducing my MAPIX stake TOO much--- for rather the same reason(s) you just noted. The recent period of under-performance is not the time to bail out. I took a hefty chunk of it and moved it to Matthews Japan MJFOX, and therefore, out of EM. But MAPIX is still 28% of my total, and it's no longer ALL in EM any more, either. All told, my EM portion is still about one-third of my total. I wish SFGIX would giddy-up. But it's less than 3% of total, anyhow. I'm just riding it, like I'm doing with MAPIX, and reinvesting the quarterlies.
  • Reduced my position when the last of the old managers announced his departure. Still watching the new managers closely to determine if they are "chair warmers" or worthy. Their recent record is so/so given the retreat in emerging markets. The 24% or so of holdings in Japan didn't help as much in 2013 as I thought it would. The new managers only had 9% portfolio turnover last year. Hope the low turnover, which I normally appreciate, doesn't mean fewer new ideas going forward.
  • The recent downturn will be just a blip on a chart in the future. I continue to hold MAPIX.
  • There is no such fund that is seemingly a darling or on the hot fund list say every 3 years over and over and over.

• I'm very committed to my darlings. If I'm not they aren't darlings. Of course I tend to not ask my darlings to do plastic surgery. I hold on to them without investing dividends, i.e., let the fat ooze out.