Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

6 Great Mutual Funds That Benefit From Small Portfolios

FYI: I have always believed for enhanced returns look to funds with focused or concentrated portfolios. That's why I am attracted to sector funds.
Regards,
Ted
http://www.kiplinger.com/printstory.php?pid=12195

Comments

• I've had mixed results with funds that invest with concentrated portfolios. My investments in Longleaf Partners funds blew up in 2008/2009 [I know, they have bounced back--but I left them for less volatile investments]. And Fairholm is certainly not for the risk-adverse.

These managers make bets that are all-or-nothing, which makes me nervous. [e.g. Fairholm's investment in Sears and Longleaf's investments in GM and Dell].

Ted, I guess I'm just too nervous to invest with these managers. And I don't have your talent for timing or picking the right sectors.