Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Hey Ted, how much more punishment is SDRL looking at?

I seem to recall you like it.

Comments

• edited March 2014
    Not Ted, but Seadrill is - I think - an appealing stock from the standpoint of strong assets and shareholder friendly. However, with the nature of the business, it's a highly volatile stock and you have something of a battleground with articles coming out every so often that claim that they can't cover their dividend. It's absolutely a significant income stock and probably one of the most popular, but not one for conservative investors. I don't own it, but I've considered it at times.

There's also Seadrill Partners (SDLP), the spin-off.
  • @mark: I'm down 17% from where I bought it, but the 8%+ dividend helps cushion the blow. I have stops in at $31.00.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Thank you gentlemen. I've been stalking this one for awhile and other than some worries about their supply vs. demand for rigs being roughly equal rather than pent up on the demand side I can't find anything else materially hampering the valuation. Might go after a half position but still watching Mr. Price.
  • edited March 2014
    Speaking of rigs, Transocean (RIG) getting creamed, now in the $30's.

I believe the Seadrill CEO also owns a substantial amount of newly listed (in the US, at least) Marine Harvest (which also has a giant dividend.)
  • I have NOV, also getting slammed. That's investing for you.
  • edited March 2014
    Scott said;I believe the Seadrill CEO also owns a substantial amount of newly listed (in the US, at least) Marine Harvest
    From Seadrill corporate site;
    John Fredriksen has served as Chairman of the Board, President and a director of the Company since its inception in May 2005. Mr Fredriksen has established trusts for the benefit of his immediate family which control Hemen Holding Limited ("Hemen") our largest shareholder.

Mr Fredriksen is Chairman, President, Chief Executive Officer and a director of a related party, Frontline Ltd. ("Frontline"), a Bermuda company listed on the NYSE, the Oslo Stock Exchange and the London Stock Exchange.

He is also a director of a related party, Golar LNG Limited ("Golar"), a Bermuda company listed on the Nasdaq Global Market and the Oslo Stock Exchange, whose principal shareholder is World Shipholding Limited, a company indirectly influenced by trusts established by Mr. Fredriksen for the benefit of his immediate family. He is also a director of a related party, Golden Ocean Group Limited ("Golden Ocean"), a Bermuda company publicly listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange and on the Singapore Stock Exchange, whose principal shareholder is Hemen and has served as a director of Frontline 2012 Ltd since December 2011.

His twin? daughters also have their fingerprints throughout his corporate holdings.
    http://www.seadrill.com/about_seadrill/corporate_governance/board_of_directors

His involvement in FRO ($70 in'08 to $3.89 today https://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:FRO&ei=lFIiU8j_IYWxqgHgHgy) has been a bit of red flag in my past research.I own some SDRL thru NORW.
  • edited March 2014
    In terms of FRO, all of those stocks have been obliterated. DRYS being a particularly (in)famous example (something like $125 in '08 to $3 and change today.)