Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited March 2014
    I have owned this fund for a good long while … since childhood ... and, I am now sixty six years in age as I write. In 1954, I invested some money in it that my late great grandfather gave me. He told me that he felt this would be a good long term investment vehicle ... and, thus far, it has been. The fund now accounts for about 6.5% of my overall portfolio which consist of fifty two funds and is the portfolio’s single largest holding other than cash. It use to pay a distribution yield of better than eight percent, at one time, and its yield has now dropped back of five percent as more and more investors discover and invest in it. Thus far, I have been a happy camper with it; but, I have not been growing my position in it for a long time now. I feel five percent of most any single investment is plenty to own within my portfolio.

Through the years I adopted the sleeve system within my portfolio and with this I divided the portfolio into twelve sleeves. There are two cash sleeves (one investment cash consisting of time deposits and one demand cash) ... two income sleeves (one fixed income the other hybrid income) ... four growth and income sleeves (global equity, global hybrid, domestic equity and domestic hybrid) ... and, four growth sleeves (global/foreign & emerging, domestic large/mid, domestic small/mid and a specialty sleeve that can hold just about anything).

Franklin Income Fund (FKINX) is one of six funds held within my hybrid income sleeve. The others are, listed by their ticker symbols, CAPAX, ISFAX, PGBAX, AZNAX and PASAX. This sleeve is currently the largest sleeve within my portfolio at a little better than twenty one percent.

• beebee
    edited March 2014
    Thanks Ol'Skeet, my vote for a new sub-category under the discussion tab...maybe call it "The Bigger Picture". I often cut and paste these "special" submissions from you and others that allow me to reference them later and absorb their importance. Thanks for sharing your investment approach and explaining it so concisely.
  • edited March 2014
    Thanks bee for your comment. It is much appreciated and coming form you means a lot to me. My family has long believed that one of the best courses in life is helping others along the path of life. You being a retired school teacher believed in this path too or you, perhaps, would have followed a different career path.

Have a good weekend!

Old_Skeet