Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• msf March 2014
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

FInra Examining Trading In New Puerto Rico Bonds

Comments

• msf
    edited March 2014
    A very confusing (and confused) article.

The bonds are CUSIP 74514LE86, with an 8.00% coupon, issued with OID (issue price of 93) for a YTM of 8.727%.

The requirement is that the face value of bonds in a trade not be less than $100K; not that the value traded be less than $100K. So if bonds trade at issue price (93), you can have a $100K denomination trade where only $93K of money is exchanged.

Nearly all the trades were above the issue price (i.e. at a premium). None reached 100 (which would be a premium of over 7%). The 10:47 trade on 3/12 the article gave as the highest price of 100 would thus have represented a premium. Calling this "100 cents on the dollar" is at best confusing.

In any case, that trade was not for $25K face value, but for $400K face value. The price was 96 5/8 (not 100) for a yield of 8.339% (i.e. below the issue yield).

The decline mentioned at the end of the article was just to 92 (vs the issue price of 93). This resulted in a yield of 8.838%, not "about 8.73%" as reported in the article. That latter rate was the rate at issue, i.e. you'd need a price of 93 for that yield.

Maybe some of the 75 trades mentioned in the article in denomination (not transaction) amounts under $100K were cancelled, because I count only 48.

The point of the article (about improper trades because of the small lot size) may be correct; but most of the figures are wrong. My data are from EMMA http://emma.msrb.org