Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Target Date Fund To Capture 63% Of All 401(k) Contributions By 2018

Comments

• Interesting article. There is one error in the article though. The article states:
    "In 2005, target date funds held less than $100 million in total assets. After several years of double-digit growth — in some cases as high as nearly 50% annually — target date funds reached more than $500 million in assets as of 2013, according to a report by Morningstar Inc."

The Vanguard Target Retirement 2020 fund alone has 25 billion dollars of assets.

• What a rip...

I find most Target Funds to be awful.

Last time I looked, most did not beat a simple balanced index fund, like VBINX.

No?
  • I think for most workers (not necessarily the people who visit this site)target funds are just fine.Problems occur if the target funds have a high er but in that case there is unlikely to bea good choice other than perhaps an S&P 500 fund.
  • VBINX with an ER of .24% and 60/4 stocks to bonds should do OK over the decades although it's pretty conservative for a 20-something.
    You're both right so long as the ER is low and enough stocks are included; and target date funds remove the anxiety of determining your own ratios. Beats doing nothing by a mile.
  • right, it's 60/40. Plagued by a balky "0"