Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• How unique, just what we need another alternative strategies fund. I'm saying no !
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Ted: Ted, do you like any of the alternative strategies funds? Any 'absolute return' funds you like? Also, what funds do you like for fixed income assuming that rates rise in the future? I find stock funds easy to select. Not so with fixed income and alternatives.
  • @rjb112; I'm a mainstream old fashion long-term fund investor, and yes your correct I not a fan of alternative funds. For income I suggest high yield bonds, and preferred stocks. My favorite, and one of my largest position is PFF.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @Ted: I'm mainly looking for things that will hold up well/provide ballast to a stock funds heavy portfolio, not so much for income per se. Protect and hold up well during bear markets and times when stocks are going down. In the past I always relied on certificate of deposits or shorter term treasuries for this purpose, but now they yield almost nothing. And in anticipation of rising/normalization of interest rates. The high yield bonds and preferred stocks won't hold up well when the equity markets are going down, especially if interest rates go up.

Any suggestions?