Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fund Ideas

I am looking for a mutual fund or ETF that covers energy conservation, clean energy, environmental
clean up and related issues.
Thanks Mitchelg

Comments

• With the (major) caveat that these have been bad investments - lots of unprofitable or speculative firms in the sector, low returns and lots of mutual funds in the sector liquidating - you might look at Fidelity Select Environment and Alternative Energy (FSLEX), Pax World Global Environmental Markets (PGRGX), New Alternatives (NALFX), Market Vectors Environmental Service ETF (EVX) or many of the funds with "Green" in their name (Alger Green, Shelton Green Alpha).

From a pure investment perspective, Parnassus Equity Income (PRBLX), which incorporates broad environmental, social and governance screens but doesn't target your particular niche, is clearly the best of the bunch.

For what that's worth,

David
  • David
    Thanks for your reply.
    Mitchelg
  • Hi Mitchel, I'd give a thumbs-up to the Pax fund (PGRNX, PGRGX) as the best of the options in the pure category.

I don't think it's a bad investment, just that returns in the category have been really streaky up to now; but the category's been on a tear lately and may be a little overbought, so I'd suggest picking your spots and/or dollar cost-averaging into a small-ish position for the present, if you want to invest some now.