Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A Low-Volatility Approach To Emerging Markets

Comments

• A better option, it seems to me, would be to use a manager who strives to keep volatility low as a matter of practice, but who is not bound by constraints of the EM index. The M* volatility ranking is not at all helpful, and some of the better funds do not have very long records. Bear market ranking is somewhat helpful. I would consider Wasatch, Calamos, Thornburg, and a couple of others. Frontier markets have surprisingly outperformed the bigger EM markets during the recent EM meltdown. Maybe that is a sign of things to come? Not sure about that, but perhaps another reason to opt for active management in the EM asset class.
  • beebee
    edited April 2014
    Thanks Bob for your comment on the Bear Market Percentile ranking.

For those that haven't referred to this data point it can be found as part of M* Ratings & Risks Tab once you have entered your ticker symbol search. Scroll down to Volatility Measures. I noticed that clicking on the the 5 year tab it often provided information while often other timeframes where blank. I also noticed that the category or index indicator comparisons offered no data. It would be nice If M* offered comparison ranking information. It seems this feature would be helpful for an individual's entire fund portfolio as a comparison across all funds held.

Are there other ways you use and access this M* ranking data point?
  • We subscribe to M* Office, which has hundreds of data points available, too many if you ask me. Many of our asset class decisions have a heavy weighting on how well funds hold up during bear markets, and there are a lot of ways to screen for this. We just tend to be more risk conscious in these non-sector decisions.