Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

HOPEX

edited September 2011 in Off-Topic
Howdy,

Per Monday's closing equity rally and the global equity rally that continues today; just before the noon bell.

Stock prices scored most of their gains in the final 2 hours, apparently in reaction to a story on television entertainment station CNBC: "European officials are working on a detailed plan aimed at shoring up European bank stability, according to an official who spoke with CNBC’s Steve Liesman." Unnamed sources whisper this plan would create a new highly-levered vehicle that would borrow massive sums in order to buy vast quantities of toxic debt that has been threatening the financial system. In other words, the solution to the European debt crisis is to create much more debt--out of thin air, of course. If there really is a plan anything like this, the probability of upside follow-through in stock markets might be questionable.

HOPEX Yes, the fund ticker spy program may think this is a real fund.......but, alas...not !

I do believe that I will start the SEC paperwork and get this fund in place. It will not use any fundamental or techinical benchmarks or machinations.

The ten sector choices of the fund will be derived from 25 diverse global sectors, which will be determined by the 25 sectors each having their names placed in their respective pie shapes onto a dart board.

Once a month, 10 neighborhood children will get one chance each, to throw a dart to the board to obtain the next set of ten sectors into which to place the monies. No repeats for at least one month, so a duplicate of a current sector will require a new dart toss until a different sector is chosen.

One may suspect this fund may perform as well as any other well thought fund plan. The work/maintenance of such a fund would surely be at the minimum.

So, get started; built your own at home and use your spare time for reading that book you have found time for; or other joyful adventure of your choosing.

Enjoy the current technical rally, without legs; in my most humble opinion. Perhaps this house will unload some equity stuff, if things keep moving along.

Back to work I must be.....

Hey, take care of you and yours,

Catch

Comments

• It would make a nice name for your boat too!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/meabbott/3801919006/

• Howdy Mindy,

Hey, you did find "the boat". Not very fast, but designed to haul the load and take on the challenge.

Take care,

Catch

• edited September 2011
    "In other words, the solution to the European debt crisis is to create much more debt--out of thin air, of course."

(sarcasm) Wait, isn't solving this crisis with way more debt out of thin air the best way to solve it?(/sarcasm)

Oh, and we can do Enron-like accounting with SPVs and other complex, levered vehicles. That's really the core of a plan to save Europe. Yeah.

"Perhaps this house will unload some equity stuff, if things keep moving along. "

Selling a couple of small ultra sector funds that I got yesterday, not expecting this at all. Otherwise, not buying anything/not selling anything else. I don't think the world is going to end, but I do not think things are good - but the movements in this market are absurd.
  • edited September 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply to @Maurice: The fund will make random "return of capital" distributions during losing years, which will be called - for the purpose of the fund - "comps".
  • Maurice,

Well done.....I enjoyed the story; and sounds like a plan.

Catch