Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Thoughts on REM iShares Mortgage Real Estate Capped - Others to consider

What are you thoughts on REM at this point? Down from its 52 week high and approaching its 52 week lows. The yield is tempting.

Are there other similar yielding funds I should look at.

Thanks

Comments

• Good for momentum trades only, not for core holding. Significant risk of capital.

If you are not sure what mortgage REITs are, you may find this article useful (search for REM on Yahoo finance and click through the M* link there if you have problems with the direct link below)

Capital Destruction, Inc.

Not to be confused with regular REIT funds like VNQ, RWR, etc., which don't concentrate in mREITs.

All Real Estate funds should be looked at for total return than just yield because they tend to be volatile with potential loss of capital like equities. They can provide diversification benefits in small amounts to an equity portfolio with low correlations to equities but shouldn't be considered as a fixed income asset because of the yield.
  • @Dex: Rather the buy REM, I suggest you buy it's biggest holding Annaly Mortgage common with a 10.70% yield and the preferred NLY-PC selling slightly below par, with a 7.625% yield. I hold large positions in both.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Cman and Ted - thanks for the info. I have a better handle on it now.