Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

PIMCO Fundamental IndexPLUS AR Fund ?

What everyone 's thoughts with PIMCO Fundamental IndexPLUS AR Fund? Does it have a place in your portfolio?

Comments

• PIMCO has many variations of their "PLUS" strategies and I don't really understand any of them. Some of their "PLUS" funds do well compared to their benchmarks and others don't. I'm resolving many of these decisions by moving to index funds.
  • I own a little in my Roth IRA. It's basically a bond fund plus a derivative to give you value-tilted stock market exposure, if I understand it right. If you think Bill Gross's bond fund can earn enough return to overcome the management fee, and if you believe in a value tilt, it makes sense as a slightly riskier alternative to an index fund. But it is extraordinarily un-tax efficient, so hold it only in a tax-advantaged account, and the super excess returns of the last 5 years won't be repeated since the glory days for bonds are almost certainly over.
  • I wish PIMCO's portfolio managers were as good as its marketing department.