Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• Uhhh ... S&P looked for large cap core funds (home of tiny funds with distinctive strategies, fer sure) with above average returns and below average volatility. And for what time period do they check? The past three years, a period of virtually unremitting optimism and far less than a normal market cycle.

While noting that some some funds made the list (Pear Tree Quality USBOX and Golub Group Equity (GGEFX), they took the safe route for focused on:

Torray Fund (TORYX) - $400 million no-load with the same manager for 24 years
    American Funds Washington Mutual Investors (AWSHX) - $72 billion study in ... something.
    Weitz Value (WVALX) - $1.2 billion fund with the same manager for 28 years.

Let's see: poor method plus shopworn funds equals ...

(sigh)

David
  • USBOX seems very familiar to me. However Peartree rings no bell. For some reason I have a sticky on my computer with USBOX under Long-Short fund. I must have noted it when I was shopping for L/S funds for each of my portfolio. Needless to say I must have made a typo.

Getting old...
  • Pear Tree used to be the Quant Funds and one of the earlier manifestations of Pear Tree Quality was Quant Quality Fund and another was Quant Long/Short. They rebranded about three years ago because, they argued, "Quant" no longer fairly described their investment approach. Five of the Quant funds then migrated to the Pear Tree moniker.

David