Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Cost of Gasoline

edited September 2011 in Off-Topic
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• I watch the unleaded fuel contract prices. I/we don't make special trips for gas, as we have several stations within two miles and are on routes we normally travel. Last night, Tuesday, my wife's car was just about on empty and I was able to buy at $3.22/gal; all taxes included. My van was already full from a few days ago, when the price was $3.28/gal. Just keeping an eye to wholesale/contract prices, does save some money over a one year time frame.
    Thanks for the links.
    Catch
  • probably a good time to buy a horse and a cart. next year will be 4.50 per gallon
  • edited September 2011
    Delete. (-:

• edited September 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2011
    Reply to @Maurice: I just filled my tank in Walmart gas station for $3.12 after 10c discount (when you use Walmart card, free to fill in the store). This is Walmart Cedar Park, TX (near Austin) store which is on my way to work.
  • msf
    edited September 2011
    After looking at that price curve, now I know why it seemed gas prices hadn't moved. They're the same as they were when I filled up my tank in April:-) There are solutions other than horse and buggy.

Regarding the heat map and driving for gas - the heat map is by zip codes. I checked San Francisco and it showed the usual pattern - the southern side of the city was less expensive (cars aren't captive there - easy to get down the Peninsula for gas). New York, on the other hand, reversed this expected pattern years ago. Gas used to be cheaper on Long Island and eastern Queens; now it is cheaper in Brooklyn, which makes little sense to me.

Aside from topographical issues like this, I expect that the vast majority of the differences can be explained by tax differences. That's why NJ looks so cheap compared with NY. But then, who's going to pay $7.50-$12.00 in bridge/tunnel tolls just to get a tank of gas?
  • NJ has refineries.. that's why gas has always been cheaper there.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.