Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M* Times - Marsico Mgr Leaves; Ex-Wasatch Mgrs Launching Grandeur Peak Funds

Comments

• beebee
    edited October 2011
    Thanks Kenster,

Cory G is also co-manager of MFCFX = Marsico Flexible Capital Fund. Keeping a close eye on this holding I own.
  • Hi Bee,

According to M*, Corydon Gilchrist has not been involved with the management of MFCFX since 1/31/2008. We continue to own HAFLX, a lower cost version of MFCFX.

Kevin
  • beebee
    edited October 2011
    Reply to @kevindow:

Hi K-dow,

Thanks for the info on both counts...I guess I misread M*'s info. You are correct. I have access to HAFLX through my brokerage so I will have to consider a switch.

Ouch... 50K minimum...anyway around this hurdle? The expense ratio on MFCFX is .75%...what is it for HAFLX? Thanks!

bee
  • edited October 2011
    This was also noted in David Snowball's Oct commentary but here's an article about it....

Former Wasatch Team Announces Funds Launch-- Grandeur Peak Global Opportunities and International Opportunities Funds To Launch October 17th.

http://news.yahoo.com/former-wasatch-team-announces-funds-launch-grandeur-peak-125609468.html

Not only will the Grandeur Peak funds be capped at a lower expense ratio than their Wasatch counterpart funds but the new Global Opportunities fund will also be more concentrated than before.

When they were managing WAGOX (Wasatch Global Oppty fund) they had around 300+ stocks. According to the linked article, the new Grandeur Peak Global Oppty fund will target 100-150 stocks.

“We plan to run a shorter list of holdings with our favorite 100-150 opportunities. This should provide a more dynamic portfolio and be more cost effective for shareholders.”

• Reply to @bee:

The actual ER of MFCFX is 1.49, which includes a dreadful 0.25% 12b-1 fee. The net ER of HAFLX is 1.00% through 2/29/2012. I purchased my shares of HAFLX for a reasonable minimum at Thinkorswim before it was gobbled up by TDAmeritrade. I just checked around at Fidelity, Firstrade, Schwab, Scottrade, and TDAmeritrade, and the minimum at these brokerages for both retirement and taxable accounts is $50K. I don't know of a way to access HAFLX for a reasonable minimum at this time.

Kevin
  • Reply to @bee: The expense ratio of MFCFX is NOT 0.75%. That was before expense cap expired early this year (2/1) and now the expense ration is 1.49% per prospectus (expense limit 1.60%). M* for some reason still continues to reflect old expense ratio with an expense limit of 0.75%
  • Reply to @Kenster1_GlobalValue: Thank you for the update. ER is still above average at 1.75%. I am not familiar with the management team and their past performance. Would you please share your opinion? Thank you.