Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fidelity 401k Discussion

My company has recently decided to switch to Fidelity as their 401k provider. I am trying to give input to recommend the best funds possible. Does anyone has any experience or know what funds are available in a Fidelity 401k that wouldn't be available to someone in a regular IRA? For instance could we have SGIIX in a fidelity IRA with minimal fees vs the 1,000,000 and transaction fee in a regular Fidelity account? Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• I think the possibilities are almost without limit. Your company can probably work out whatever they want in there. There are tons of possibilities that are not possible in a regular Fidelity IRA.
    For example, I have a company 401k with Fidelity and it contains the PIMCO Total Return Institutional Share Class PTTRX, 0.46% expense ratio, which normally has a $1 Million minimum, but in the 401k plan there is no minimum at all. It also has Vanguard Institutional Index Plus, VIIIX, an S&P 500 Index fund that charges only 0.02% expense ratio (2 basis points!), there is a private Stable Value investment as a choice, there are two DFA mutual funds, and DFA funds are normally not available to anyone who doesn't go through a Registered Investment Advisor, there is VBTIX, the Vanguard Total Bond Market Institutional class, with only a .07% expense ratio, etc........
    So yes, your corporate 401k plan with Fidelity has a lot of flexibility to put funds into your 401k plan from many different fund companies, institutional shares, etc.....And mine also has a Brokerage Link option, where you can purchase anything available to anyone with a Fidelity Brokerage account.
    I would lobby to get a Stable Value fund, which is a fixed income fund that uses Guaranteed Investment Contracts to produce an investment with a $1.00 NAV that always stays at $1.00/share, but has a decent yield. It's a super conservative, almost no risk fixed income investment that yields a lot more than the traditional counterparts such as CDs, MMAs, etc., and not available outside a 401k, so it is very unique. Standish BNY Mellon is a company that has these investments ready made, a very high quality company that I would recommend.
    Regarding SGIIX, that's probably something your company would have to negotiate with Fidelity to see if they can get it in there. My guess is that the chances are good with respect to getting a bunch of institutional share classes in there, especially if your company has a decent size. The size of your company and the number of 401k participants may be a factor here. I would also lobby to get some DFA funds in there. Certainly you want some Target Date Retirement funds in there. I think the Brokerage Link is great, because you can purchase any stock/bond/mutual fund/ETF, so no one in the 401k plan will feel left out.
  • By the way, the VIIIX mentioned above normally has a minimum of $200 million to get in! In the 401k plan, there is no minimum at all. VBTIX normally has a minimum of $5 million to get in: no minimum at all in the 401k plan. So I think your company has a big opportunity here to create the ultimate investment vehicle of their choosing. Go for it!
  • If the brokerage option is part of the 401k plan; one would suspect you would be allowed to invest in whichever funds, stocks and etfs that are not part of Fidelity, but with which Fidelity has an agreement. Whether reduced minimums would be available for these outside funds is another question. Group plans, as with the 401k; likely have very low minimums ($500); but restrictions still usually apply. These restrictions vary by fund family but may include holding period times; or resticting investing in a same fund if one sold an entire position (not allowed to move monies into that fund until a waiting period is finished (60 days or ???)
    Hopefully, your company will offer a nice plan. Many such plans are junky.
    Regards,
    Catch
  • edited May 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • All thanks for the comments, I have some good information to take going forward. Thanks again for those who gave input.