Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bonds Up More Than Stocks YTD

edited May 2014 in Fund Discussions
And, on a lot less volatility...both above 50-day and 200-day averages...both near all-time highs.

Here's summary for AGG:
And, for SPY:

Comments

• @Charles: As always, nice presentation of graphics, but by year end I'll take the stocks over the bonds.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited May 2014
    Morning Ted! You think so because like, Peter Lynch, you are perpetually in stocks? Or, fundamentally economy is doing well and stocks are not particularly over valued...earnings good, cash high, buy-backs strong, etc.?
  • edited May 2014
    Come on Brother Ted...no answer? What is your rational for endorsing US equities today?
  • @Charles: You answered your own question, "fundamentally economy is doing well and stocks are not particularly over valued...earnings good, cash high, buy-backs strong, etc.? "
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited May 2014
    Thanks man.

I too remain cautiously optimistic for those very reasons. Anecdotally, I see a lot of construction locally here in central coast and places we visit.

The sell-offs in tech, for some IPOs, help as well...I think that is healthy for the market.

Now, monitoring valuations, list of stocks I track continues to get smaller.

My current allocation is roughly: 35% cash (net), 45% US stocks (mostly value), 10% foreign stocks (mostly EM), 10% bonds (mostly short term).

More conservatively allocated than you've posted. But if I were more aggressive today and the market "corrected" -20% tomorrow, I would be pissed, even though I recognize such corrections tend to be short-lived.

So, OK for now.

Fingers-crossed, our reluctant bull continues forward.
  • It was nice to see Ted offer several intelligent and thoughtful insights into the bull rally instead of just a doggedly determined "Market's going up.":-)