Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited June 2014

But, if you can afford to pay the taxes while also maxing out your tax deferred contributions they're a fantastic deal. For what should be obvious reasons, those with substantial wealth stand to benefit most from the Roth provision. And, for that reason, I suspect they will not go away anytime soon.

• I max out my Roth IRA every year, and currently contribute up to the maximum company match in my traditional 401k (I have the option to contribute to a Roth 401K). As it stands my total retirement accounts are about one-third in Roth IRA, and two-thirds in traditional IRA/401K. My goal is to be able to retire at 60 (I'm 45). My guess is I will be in the same tax bracket when I retire. I like having money in both Roth and non-Roth to hedge against the unknown of what taxes will be in 15 years compared to today. Since my non-Roth accounts total more than my Roth, I am thinking of changing to contributing to the Roth 401K instead. I think it might be good to have a balance. Another thing to consider: what if you are paying state income tax during your working years, but move to a state such as Florida when you retire, and won't have to pay state income tax. In that case, putting money in a Roth might be disadvantageous.