Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

$5-$6,000 signing bonus...a positive sign for Auto Manufacturing in the US

beebee
edited October 2011 in Off-Topic
With all the recent bad news its hard to recognize an opportunity when it develops. The latest deals struck by auto workers in the US (signing bonuses) along with this attached article sound like pretty positive developments for auto manufacturing in the US.

http://www.wealthdaily.com/articles/the-future-of-manufacturing/3232

Take a look at Ford's most advanced assembly plant in Brazil and would love to build here in the US...maybe Fort Payne, Alabama mentioned in the above article...sounds like the UAW has some decisions to make.

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/multimedia/player/index.php?id=1189

Maybe a related article:

http://blog.al.com/businessnews/2010/04/auto_supplier_plasman_picks_fo.html

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Hi bee,

Interesting links/stories. Catch a bit here and there, being a Michigan fella.

The UAW, in spite of new "management" have long ago made their decisions for the unionized states. Tis why, for the past 20 years the auto companies mentioning, as well as the existing U.S. auto companies have continued to move "south".....no unions.

'Course, I am sure the southern states have welcomed the work and the tax base; and it is my understanding that the non-union workforce is treated fairly. The recent pronounces by U.S. auto companies to place some more work and monies in Michigan, IMHO is an appeasement to the UAW; and was a bargaining chip to "get" other things in favor of the companies. The work for the U.S. in general is a very nice thing; but sadly will never return to states as Michigan; which have strong union barriers in place. I know of number of familes who were split apart for a short period and eventually moved to follow their work in the auto sector into other states.

One would suppose the union is proud of their solidarity and strength; and knowing that their continued demands of a "cradle to grave" comfort zone of employment stole and/or eliminated the future existance of any related work for their children and grandchildren. This of course, is also amplified by the changing tides of technology, allowing for just about any country on the plant to manufacter a decent product; if they so desire to maintain quality.

The new contracts with Ford and GM is still real good work, pay and benefits for a high school educated person.

NOTE: I have worked numerous blue collar jobs as an employee of GM in previous years.

Enough from me; gotta get back to work.

Regards,

Catch