Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Don't Leave Small-Cap Stocks For Dead

Comments

• edited May 2014
    I agree that a good diversified portfolio should hold a weighting to small caps. Currently, the small/mid cap sleeve of my portfolio represents about eighteen percent of the growth area of my portfolio. I have my target allocation to them set at twenty percent. So with this, I do plan to raise my allocation sometime between now and late fall by about two percent.

In viewing the WSJ's listing on P/E's Ratios & Yields I am finding that the Russell 2000 is selling at TTM ratio of 73.30 and on forward estimates at 18.21 while the S&P 500 Index is selling at a TTM ratio of 18.04 and on forward estimates at 15.8. Notice the large difference between the trailing twelve month (TTM) numbers. And, according to the article the Russell 2000 had a greater percentage of its companies recently miss their earnings numbers. With this, I am surprised that there has only been about a ten percent pull back thus far. I look for more downside to come as we move into and through summer as forward estimate numbers get revised (downward). Should this happen then the P/E Ratio will most likely rise. Perhaps, by the time fall arrives the stage will be set for us to have a good fall rally in small caps. Anyway, my current thinking is that small caps remain in overbought territory as I write based on their TTM numbers and in my belief that foward earnings estimates will be revised downwards as we approach second quarter reporting.

The above is Old_Skeet's Scientific Wild Ass Guess ... and, no one really knows what is going to take place until the event day arrives. I do know that summer is coming and it is time for a break. At least I plan to take one and perhaps the markets will too.

I have linked below my reference to the P/E Ratios.

http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3021-peyield.html?mod=wsj_mdc_additional_ustocks

In addition, read rule number six in the below link.

http://www.dryassociates.com/16_rules.htm

Either way it goes ... I'll be ok as I already have an ample representation to small/mid caps should they turn upward, I'll be at the party. Sould they continue to decline as I believe they will I have an ample supply of cash that I can do some buying and raise my small/mid cap allocation towards its target as I usually buy during a good pull back and/or correction.

Have a good weekend … and, I wish all “Good Investing.”

Old_Skeet