Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Hiding Gold in All the Unusual Places

edited October 2011 in Off-Topic
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-06/hiding-gold-in-all-the-unusual-places.html

This article made me remember what Ron has been telling regarding the silver bars (pain them black and use as a door stop). I guess he has to change that as it is pretty commonly known.

Comments

• edited October 2011
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hi guys,

One of the very first things people need to do when they start buying gold or silver or any sort of valuable - is to figure out how best to keep them safe. Normally, that starts immediately with ceasing to ever, ever talk about it - to anyone.

For years, I've shared two examples with folks as an alternative to safe deposit boxes or, heaven forbid, storage in some pm vault somewhere, is the silver door stop and the roll of gold eagles in the oatmeal box. However, my point was and remains, that you can have an large amount of value contained in a very small size and should you wish to keep it closer, there are countless ways to safely stash it.

However, the best thing you can do about protecting any valuables - is don't let people know you have them. No security system is foolproof and you're kidding yourself if you think so. What we all hope and pray is that the professional thief has no interest in our meager holdings. All your secuity is designed to do is to protect you from the local teenage neighborhood punk looking for something to do.

peace,

rono